+ Reply to Thread
Page 1885 of 2946 FirstFirst ... 88513851785183518751883188418851886188718951935198523852885 ... LastLast
Results 18,841 to 18,850 of 29455

Thread: Spinning Today - What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Part 3)

I'm Adrian.

I have been comparing this on stream from Qobuz and the Mofi UDCD disk I have of it both playing through the Beresford DAC. After some very careful listening I have come to the conclusion that the streamed version just has it, this may be due to the re-master. The main difference is a slightly improved bass/low end giving a richer sound, also slightly better separation, both of which I am a little surprised to hear.

I have also been doing direct comparisons of other tracks with vinyl, CD, and 16/44.1khz and higher HiRes streamed files all from the same original masters. Generally what I have so far found is anything recorded pure analogue generally sounds better on vinyl unless it has been transferred more recently to 24/96khz hi-res or above, then it is near impossible to hear any difference between the original and the digital played at HiRes. However digital versions cut early on seem to be quite a mixed bag in SQ.

Also what I have noticed is recordings done well that have been explicitly made using digital recording techniques at or above 24/96khz are extremely good, and in some cases seem to have better resolution and realism(dare I say it) even if they have been subsequently compressed to CD quality. So maybe digital is starting to become a good prospect for high SQ as long as what is recorded is not poorly mixed or subjected to the wall of sound wars.

This doesn’t mean I will be ditching my vinyl, but may be more discerning in what format I purchase and album in, in some cases vinyl may be the better one and in more recent releases the HiRes digital maybe be better.

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I have been comparing this on stream from Qobuz and the Mofi UDCD disk I have of it both playing through the Beresford DAC. After some very careful listening I have come to the conclusion that the streamed version just has it, this may be due to the re-master. The main difference is a slightly improved bass/low end giving a richer sound, also slightly better separation, both of which I am a little surprised to hear.

I have also been doing direct comparisons of other tracks with vinyl, CD, and 16/44.1khz and higher HiRes streamed files all from the same original masters. Generally what I have so far found is anything recorded pure analogue generally sounds better on vinyl unless it has been transferred more recently to 24/96khz hi-res or above, then it is near impossible to hear any difference between the original and the digital played at HiRes. However digital versions cut early on seem to be quite a mixed bag in SQ.

Also what I have noticed is recordings done well that have been explicitly made using digital recording techniques at or above 24/96khz are extremely good, and in some cases seem to have better resolution and realism(dare I say it) even if they have been subsequently compressed to CD quality. So maybe digital is starting to become a good prospect for high SQ as long as what is recorded is not poorly mixed or subjected to the wall of sound wars.

This doesn’t mean I will be ditching my vinyl, but may be more discerning in what format I purchase and album in, in some cases vinyl may be the better one and in more recent releases the HiRes digital maybe be better.

When i copied my vinyl i did it at 24/96... it sounded best and although it took up a lot more room was worth it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    When i copied my vinyl i did it at 24/96... it sounded best and although it took up a lot more room was worth it.
    I think you've guessed Grant where I am going with this. I need to rationalise the out of control LP collection to a more manageable number, so the first step will be to copy those I may move on at a hi-res to my NAS drive. I am also looking at de-cluttering the hifi box front, so am considering either the Audilab 8300CDQ or the Marantz ND8006 CD Player/Streamer. The Marantz may offer a better overall solution, as I would need to keep the RPI with the Audiolab, not a big issue I suppose, but should probably upgrade the RPI/HAT if I do to get better SQ from it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Adrian.

Arcade Fire ‎– Reflektor
    Label: Sonovox Records ‎– 3752118
    Format: 2 × CD, Album, Gatefold

I'm Adrian.

Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky’s Edge

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I think you've guessed Grant where I am going with this. I need to rationalise the out of control LP collection to a more manageable number, so the first step will be to copy those I may move on at a hi-res to my NAS drive. I am also looking at de-cluttering the hifi box front, so am considering either the Audilab 8300CDQ or the Marantz ND8006 CD Player/Streamer. The Marantz may offer a better overall solution, as I would need to keep the RPI with the Audiolab, not a big issue I suppose, but should probably upgrade the RPI/HAT if I do to get better SQ from it.
    I'll stick with my original (and early) vinyl pressing. It also happens to be my favourite Floyd LP and have seen them perform it live.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'll stick with my original (and early) vinyl pressing. It also happens to be my favourite Floyd LP and have seen them perform it live.
    Probably the right choice, I haven’t got AHM on vinyl, not sure why I don’t listen to it more, hearing it today it struck me just how good it is. The integration of orchestra with the band is probably one of the better offerings done like this, also it still captures their more experimental side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Dominick.

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Jennifer Warnes ‎– Famous Blue Raincoat (The Songs Of Leonard Cohen)
    Label: Cypress Records ‎– PL90048
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album

+ Reply to Thread