+ Reply to Thread
Page 1384 of 2951 FirstFirst ... 3848841284133413741382138313841385138613941434148418842384 ... LastLast
Results 13,831 to 13,840 of 29503

Thread: Spinning Today - What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Part 3)

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Not really, they were psychedelic at the time and were experimenting, and most of their songs were not that long. It is generally accepted that In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson was the first officially sited prog rock album in 1969, mainly because it had clear cross over with its use of jazz chords and extended song structures and odd song structures.Even early Genesis did not fall into the prog rock domain, until their second album. Apart from Yes, later Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and others one band often overlooked and a main driver in prog rock was and still is Hawkwind. Often dubbed as space rock mainly due to their material a lot of it is very much in the prog rock vein.
    Na The Nice 2nd album 'Ars Longa Vita Brevis' was a prog album, that was released in 1968. Bands at this time that are crossing over were generally labled as Proto Progressive. Prog in the making. The first Nice album maybe a bit poppy but the transition is there . The same would had for King Crimson who were Giles, Giles & Fripp previously. The album 'Cheerful Insanity of' was nothing like 'In the Court.. Sorry but The Nice 2nd album well pre dates KC's, .. Even The Nice 3rd album was being recorded around the same time as KC first.. So how can that be so..
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 22-02-2020 at 21:54.

I'm Grant.

Was progressive pop before any. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Was progressive pop before any. Lol
    No progressive Pop. There was Psych & Pop Psych. An example of British pop Psych would be a band called The World of Oz .. pop Psych is what it says pop music with Psych basis. However saying that 'The World of Oz' album is very good & has some non poppy stuff on it too
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 23-02-2020 at 06:45.

I'm Grant.

Wa what they called it back in 67. Not for long but everything was changing back then. I was more into blues and my beloved zep
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andre.

Colosseum - Daughter of Time

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Na The Nice 2nd album 'Ars Longa Vita Brevis' was a prog album, that was released in 1968. Bands at this time that are crossing over were generally labled as Proto Progressive. Prog in the making. The first Nice album maybe a bit poppy but the transition is there . The same would had for King Crimson who were Giles, Giles & Fripp previously. The album 'Cheerful Insanity of' was nothing like 'In the Court.. Sorry but The Nice 2nd album well pre dates KC's, .. Even The Nice 3rd album was being recorded around the same time as KC first.. So how can that be so..
    On reflection you are probably right. however back then it was not quite as clear, the prog rock label I don’t remember appearing until early 70’s just after I started buying albums. In the prog rock bin you would find led Zep, Deep Purple. Nice, moody Blues, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Pink Fairies, Tull, King Crimson, Van de Griff, Greenslade, Hawkwind even Roxy Music and others. Some shops would have separate psychedelic rock section as well.

Prog rock seemed to be all the non main stream stuff which was difficult to categorise at the time. Later hard rock and heavy metal appeared, and art rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Andre.

There was no Rock on the end of Prog back in the day it was not even termed 'Prog' it was just called 'Progressive Music' & the whole reason British spin off Labels such as Harvest [EMI], Swirl Vertigo [Phonogram], Neon [RCA] Deram/Nova [Decca] etc were created was for this new music form. The only major Brit label i can think of that did not do this were Island Records, home of ELP & King Crimson, Progressive music back then was indeed hard to Categorise being a culmination of other styles of Music but predominantly Jazz influenced with most bands. As for Heavy Rock, Well the pioneering Hard Rock bands such as Black Sabbath we actually on a Progressive label as were equally as heavy if not more so: Warhorse [Simper Ex Deep Purple]. However with Purple the first three albums [Evans/Simper] were originally signed to Tetragamaton in the USA & were Proto Progressive band at the time. Many people did not even realise they had made three early albums till they were re-issued in the UK under the Harvest inprint.. The Heavy Rock thing did not happen till the 5th album: 'In Rock' That & 'Machine Head' were what people Knew the Band for, not the early stuff.

Even though most fans favour Material from around '1973; Im afraid that it was coming to the end of the true progressive period by then, the only surviving bands of the genre were getting a bit to self indulgent for their own good, in fact quite an embarrassment in the process & its these latter offerings that paved way to people taking the piss out of them.

There were literally Hundreds of Prog bands from the period late 60's to 1972, the majority of early bands made an album or two before disappearing without a trace, without leaving any impression, It was not a favourable music genre back then, its only later on with fresh as well as new ears that the general public have discovered the music making it a somewhat of a Legacy, but as ive argued many times before this somewhat re hash of the genre is nothing like it used to be back then, I even cringe when i see the word Prog attached to the utter shit excuse for music. The only survivors of this music form either sold out to pop tunes [Genesis] or diversified completely. That was the final nail in the coffin imho..
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 23-02-2020 at 14:52.

I'm Adrian.

Well that is not quite how I remember it, the record shops I frequented in Southampton, Alton, Farnham and Guildford from 69 onwards all had a section labelled either progressive, progressive rock or prog. rock(whether that was recognised or not back then), I was generalising when used the Prog. Rock term, And as I said earlier all sorts of bands were lumped into the “Progressive” label/bucket, I just picked out the better known ones.

Out of interest how old were you in 1970?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Christopher.

One of my favourites....

Best Wishes
    Christopher D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main System: Vinyl - Technics SL1200 Mk1, Technics Mk2 Headshell , Audio Technica AT_VM95C, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Stage: CD - Marantz CD 6005: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 351A: Speakers - B&W DM600
    Second System (WIP) : CD - NAD C 521i : Cassette - Technics RS-BX404: Amp - Technics SU-V470 PXS : Speakers - Wharfdale Laser 60
    Streaming: Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6: Active Monitors - Adam Audio T5V

I'm Mike.

+ Reply to Thread