+ Reply to Thread
Page 2946 of 2946 FirstFirst ... 19462446284628962936294429452946
Results 29,451 to 29,455 of 29455

Thread: Spinning Today - What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Part 3)

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Alonso - 'Alonso'

There is no information about this CD on Discogs, as it was privately recorded and 'pressed'. All I can do is quote verbatim from the sleeve notes:

"This CD is a collection of covers and original songs. The covers and also 'Hey Mr. Postman' were recorded in Amsterdam in August 97, and feature Carlos Varnos on the electric guitar. The following five compositions were produced later the same year in Rio de Janeiro, my home town, with session musicians."

Tracks:

1 No woman no cry/Knocking on heaven's door
    2 While my guitar gently weeps
    3 Teach your children
    4 All along the watchtower
    5 Hey Mr. Postman
    6 Glad to carry on
    7 Holiday
    8 In the maze of my heart
    9 No matter what you say
    10 Almost

Contacts:
    Telephone: +44 (0)956 362 819
    e-mail: alonsorio@hotmail.com

I have to say I rather like this disc, picked up in a charity shop. An example of pure Serendipity!
    I can see only one copy of this on Ebay, on offer for over 13 quid, so you did pretty good there
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Band Group - 'Live'

Label: Epic – EPC 86025, Epic – S EPC 86025
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released: 1977
    Genre: Jazz, Rock
    Style: Fusion, Jazz-Rock

I was reminded of this by Piggurs, as it was Jan Hammer's birthday yesterday. Haven't played it for a long time and I now know why - it's awful: Jeff Beck might as well have not been there; Jan Hammer's synthesisers dominating the whole sound . It's a live recording, so the performance might have been enjoyable and exciting, but on LP none of that comes across.
    With less than 3 days to go, I'm still the highest bidder

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

I've always had doubts about Jeff Beck's later recordings and collaborations, so I played this to check:

Jeff Beck With Terry Bozzio And Tony Hymas – 'Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop'

Label: Epic – 463472 1
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released: 1989
    Genre: Rock, Blues
    Style: Blues Rock, Fusion, Alternative Rock

Verdict - IMO much, much better than his collaboration with Jan Hammer, but not as good as his early recordings: 'Truth' and 'Beck-Ola'.
    I've got that, it's not great is it? Mind you I've never really got into his stuff. 'Blow By Blow' is okay.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Rickie Lee-Jones - 'Pirates'

Label: Warner Bros. Records – P-10900W
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Warner-Pioneer pressing with obi band
    Released: 1981
    Genre: Rock, Funk / Soul, Pop
    Style: Rhythm & Blues
    Nice. I feel a "Rickie Lee Jones day" coming on I have no experience of albums with "Obi strips" on them - do they tend to be better pressings?

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've got that, it's not great is it? Mind you I've never really got into his stuff. 'Blow By Blow' is okay.
    I agree, it's not bad, but not good either. And the same applies to 'Blow By Blow'; a couple of tracks are ruined IMO by the use of a 'voice box' (or is it a 'vocoder?), a sound processing device I detest with its horrible nasal sound.

I have come to the conclusion that the later Beck collaborations were almost becoming a sort of funky AOR.

His first two albums: 'Truth' and 'Beck-Ola' are the only two worth keeping - the rest are going to go to a charity shop (unless anyone here wants them).
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread