+ Reply to Thread
Page 2978 of 2978 FirstFirst ... 19782478287829282968297629772978
Results 29,771 to 29,780 of 29780

Thread: Spinning Today - What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Part 3)

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have 'Tourist' on CD; so I'm not at all worried about vinyl roar!
    And if it was a reissue with video tracks you may hear nothing at all sorry, I shouldn't be making light of your ML issue... Vinyl 'roar' might not be the best description, I mean it doesn't sound like the MGM lion, rather like distant motorway traffic. And it seems to be more of a thing on modern pressings than my old recordings.

Manufacturers and retailers seem bent on putting me off buying new vinyl, and they are now having a degree of success...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    And if it was a reissue with video tracks you may hear nothing at all sorry, I shouldn't be making light of your ML issue... Vinyl 'roar' might not be the best description, I mean it doesn't sound like the MGM lion, rather like distant motorway traffic. And it seems to be more of a thing on modern pressings than my old recordings.

Manufacturers and retailers seem bent on putting me off buying new vinyl, and they are now having a degree of success...
    Vinyl ROAR, as Loz would put it, it is definitely not an issue with any of the St Germain albums, far from it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Steve, I should have said that St Germain - Boulevard (the first album) is perhaps what you could describe as more drum/bass and dance driven, but not in a bad way, I personally like it a lot so is also worth a listen. It sort leads into Tourist.
    Normally I value Barry's judgement, but then I do like a bit of drum'n'bass, so I've just ordered a copy But on CD (which is less than 3 quid from Music Magpie). My days of chucking ten times that amount on a vinyl 'unknown' are behind me I'm afraid

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

No worries - I'm just relieved I found out the cause of the problem. From now on I'll just have to be vigilant, and play any discs which have a video track on another player (I have four others).

Anyway back to St.Germain. I saw 'Tourist' in a charity shop and thought I would take a punt because:
    (a) I had seen mention of it here (thanks Adrian! ), and
    (b) it was on the Blue Note label.

There was another St.Germain disc there: 'Boulevard', also going for quid, so I bought that as well.

I'm playing it now, and haven't changed my opinion of it: boring ambient music, with annoyingly repetitive and unimaginative bass lines. Sorry!

But should I see any more recent recordings I would check them out. The recording Adrian cites with musicians from Mali looks interesting. I have visited Mali and love the music there; to the point there are many CDs by Malian musicians in my collection.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Carole King – 'Tapestry'

Label: Legacy – EPC 480422 2, Epic – EPC 480422 2, Ode Records (2) – EPC 480422 2
    Series: MasterSound (4)
    Format: CD, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered, Gold
    Released: 1996
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Folk Rock, Pop Rock

Marianne Faithfull – 'The Montreux Years'

Label: BMG – BMGCAT505CD, Montreux Jazz Festival – BMGCAT505CD
    Series: The Montreux Years
    Format: CD, Album, Remastered, MQA CD 24bit 88.2kHz
    Released: August 27, 2021
    Genre: Rock, Pop
    Style: Pop Rock

Bob Dylan – "Love And Theft"

Label: Columbia – COL 504364 9
    Format: 2 x CD, Album, Limited Edition
    Released: 2001
    Genre: Rock, Blues, Folk, World, & Country
    Style: Folk Rock, Blues Rock

The Animals – 'The Complete Animals'

Label: EMI – CDS 7946132, EMI – CDS 79 4613 2, EMI – CD EM 1367
    Format: 2 x CD, Compilation
    Released: 1990
    Style: Beat, Rhythm & Blues

and now:

St Germain – 'Boulevard (The Complete Series)'

Label: F Communications – F0022 20
    Series: Boulevard (2)
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: 1995
    Genre: Electronic
    Style: Future Jazz, Deep House
    Barry

I'm Robin.

Carole King – 'Tapestry'

Label: Legacy – EPC 480422 2, Epic – EPC 480422 2, Ode Records (2) – EPC 480422 2
    Series: MasterSound (4)
    Format: CD, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered, Gold
    Released: 1996
    Style: Folk Rock, Pop Rock

Marianne Faithfull – 'The Montreux Years'

Label: BMG – BMGCAT505CD, Montreux Jazz Festival – BMGCAT505CD
    Series: The Montreux Years
    Format: CD, Album, Remastered, MQA CD 24bit 88.2kHz
    Released: August 27, 2021
    Genre: Rock, Pop
    Style: Pop Rock

Bob Dylan – "Love And Theft"

Label: Columbia – COL 504364 9
    Format: 2 x CD, Album, Limited Edition
    Released: 2001
    Genre: Rock, Blues, Folk, World, & Country
    Style: Folk Rock, Blues Rock

The Animals – 'The Complete Animals'

Label: EMI – CDS 7946132, EMI – CDS 79 4613 2, EMI – CD EM 1367
    Format: 2 x CD, Compilation
    Released: 1990
    Style: Beat, Rhythm & Blues

and now:

St Germain – 'Boulevard (The Complete Series)'

Label: F Communications – F0022 20
    Series: Boulevard (2)
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: 1995
    Genre: Electronic
    Style: Future Jazz, Deep House
    Some decent choices there Barry
    Regards
    Robin

Origin Live Calypso MK5 turntable, Origin Live Onyx tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3.

I'm Adrian.

No worries - I'm just relieved I found out the cause of the problem. From now on I'll just have to be vigilant, and play any discs which have a video track on another player (I have four others).

Anyway back to St.Germain. I saw 'Tourist' in a charity shop and thought I would take a punt because:
    (a) I had seen mention of it here (thanks Adrian! ), and
    (b) it was on the Blue Note label.

There was another St.Germain disc there: 'Boulevard', also going for quid, so I bought that as well.

I'm playing it now, and haven't changed my opinion of it: boring ambient music, with annoyingly repetitive and unimaginative bass lines. Sorry!

But should I see any more recent recordings I would check them out. The recording Adrian cites with musicians from Mali looks interesting. I have visited Mali and love the music there; to the point there are many CDs by Malian musicians in my collection.
    The 3rd St Germain album with Mali musicians I would bet money on you liking.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Adrian.

Some very serious bass on this album, the bass player must have had is amp at 11!!! It's a seriously great album from and overlooked group.

The Comsat Angels – Sleep No More
    Label: Polydor – POLS 1038, Polydor – 2383 614
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released: 21 Aug 1981

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    The 3rd St Germain album with Mali musicians I would bet money on you liking.
    What's the album called?

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread