+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy - RFC Crossovers - User reviews / feedback sought

I'm Alfie.

Default Tannoy - RFC Crossovers - User reviews / feedback sought

Has anyone made the move from original crossovers to RFC external crossovers for their Tannoys and noticed an improvement in the upper mid / treble?

Like many, I ADORE the sound from my Monitor Gold 12" RS for the most part, but the upper mids and treble could be described as strident at times. Perhaps dry, fizzy are other words you could use.

I've tried all of the obvious things after much careful reading on the forums:

- Original crossovers serviced (by RFC)
    - Loosening of bolts
    - Toe in - every which way
    - Room treatments
    - Drivers checked (by RFC)
    - Smooth/warm amps tried - Quad 303, Sugden A21 Signature
    - Warmer sounding source (Sugden DAC or Croft RIAA with Nagaoka MP-500)
    - Treble roll-off & energy controls - This just loses detail but doesn't change the fatigue from the low treble / upper mid region.
    - Theoretically "warm" interconnects and speaker cables

I am attached to these speakers as they were my dads. They're in Cheviot cabinets and sound similar in infinite baffle or ported mode.

Paul at RFC has mentioned a smoothening of the treble is likely with his crossovers and I've seen some mention of that here - https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...080#post926080

Please can any other happy customers come forward and confirm the RFC crossovers had a positive effect on the sound I am a bit sensitive to?
    Last edited by beadlesabout; 31-01-2024 at 17:11.

I'm Peter.

They most certainly did on my 15” MGs.

I ultimately had to get rid of them because my wife objected to the chimps’ coffins the speakers were housed in, and the fact that the crossovers were also in substantial boxes outside those enclosures didn’t help.

Peter
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kember View Post
    They most certainly did on my 15” MGs.

I ultimately had to get rid of them because my wife objected to the chimps’ coffins the speakers were housed in, and the fact that the crossovers were also in substantial boxes outside those enclosures didn’t help.

Peter
    Chimp's coffins? Sound more like Chatsworths to me than 15" MGs. Unless the chimp's next of kin upgraded to a roomier casket.

I'm Peter.

You’re probably right, Lawrence. They were about 20” wide and five feet high on their castors.
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm Peter.

A good friend of mine (and inveterate box-swapper) eventually settled on vintage Tannoys. The biggest (and best!) upgrade I ever heard on his system was when Paul at RFC designed/made new external cross-overs ... transformed them from something good to something really quite exceptional. Highly recommended if my (singular) experience is anything to go by.

I'm Josie.

These days the crossovers made by Mainly Tannoy (found on eBay) will be fine for someone who wants to upgrade from the old crossovers and hear them at their best.

They use really good components and the prices are very reasonable. Could you get better? Well yes but you need to be passionate enough. I've tried them out and although they don't quite hit the quality of my own custom made crossovers, they're well made with expert knowledge and you'd save lots of money to boot.

Regarding the old original crossovers, you need them upgrading before any kind of A-B comparison and the old switching gear needs either fully cleaning or removing all together (recommend the latter).

Some people like the originals and I can totally see that. But I'd say the Mainly Tannoy ones certainly give a boost which most would be very happy with. Easy to fit, nice and compact too. You can also externalise them if you wish.

Note, I'm not affiliated with them, just giving my VFM/Performance opinion.

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Andrew.

I would strongly recommend against buying from anyone on eBay, lots of people who claim to be guru's but just copying other peoples hard work, too many people like that kicking around. It's very easy to build a speaker XO but it's not so easy to see how it would work with your speaker cabinet. Stick with Paul @ RFC, he has a very well known track record with Tannoys. He has very intimate knowledge of the various tannoy cabs and their "habits" . I've got Paul's top spec for my 15" MG's and I would not use anyone else. You might be paying more, but consider the old saying, buy cheap buy twice.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Josie.

Not in this case. They are legitimate manufacturers and supply lots of Tannoy related stuff. They have a shop but also use eBay as a selling platform.

Yes, you can get your crossovers made but for many it can be a big expense. I'd put these crossovers down as intermediary units. If you like the sound from your Tannoys, that's when it's time to get passionate.

As I said,... I've tried the crossovers from Mainly Tannoy and they're fine. Not as good as my Tannoyista ones but still good enough.

And if you're upgrading from the originals, they're a sensible buy. It's better than hearing something that's totally out of kilter to base things on.

I've been round and round the block with crossovers for many years and they're fine. Better than some builds I can tell you. They're a safe bet for most.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Not in this case. They are legitimate manufacturers and supply lots of Tannoy related stuff. They have a shop but also use eBay as a selling platform.

Yes, you can get your crossovers made but for many it can be a big expense. I'd put these crossovers down as intermediary units. If you like the sound from your Tannoys, that's when it's time to get passionate.

As I said,... I've tried the crossovers from Mainly Tannoy and they're fine. Not as good as my Tannoyista ones but still good enough.

And if you're upgrading from the originals, they're a sensible buy. It's better than hearing something that's totally out of kilter to base things on.

I've been round and round the block with crossovers for many years and they're fine. Better than some builds I can tell you. They're a safe bet for most.

YMMV, I'll stick with RFC.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    YMMV, I'll stick with RFC.
    Well, of course. They're excellent.. I'm sticking with my Tannoyista Spec 3.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 08-04-2024 at 08:35.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast