+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have I bagged an eBay bargain or a lemon?

I'm Steve.

Default Have I bagged an eBay bargain or a lemon?

Nakamichi DR-2 in seemingly good condition, £89....

I know that the later Naks weren't as good as the earlier ones, but seems like a reasonable deal unless it's a total dog doesn't it?

Will I have any issues getting it serviced?
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Later Naks were more reliable than many earlier ones and the admittedly noisy gear driven fast-winding shouldn't give trouble, unlike the whisper quiet rubber idler driven hubs which started slipping after a year or two (Nak did a gear conversion kit at the time).

One little comment I must make about supposedly decling quality of cheaper Naks is that as the chips became more sophisticated, the internals became tidier and, in my opinion, the sound cleaned up a little as well.

Take care of the DR2. I'm sure you'll be delighted with it and as long as it hasn't been messed with, it'll easily equal or possibly better the "5 star" Yamaha's and Sony's it competed with.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nick.

I think that's a really good price for one of the best late-model Naks. It had a lot of the nice, unique, things that made Nak's stand out; the pressure-pad lifter, auto-tape bias calibration... It'd be nice to see a picture when you get it into your rack!
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 18-07-2009 at 17:27. Reason: bias calibration, not equalisation!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Steve.

Hi Nick.

Glad to get your view, was going to ask your opinion before I put my bid in but didn't have time so I just took a chance.

Was amazed to see that another DR-2 went for under £70!!

Hopefully it will arrive shortly and once I've given it a good clean (assuming it needs one), I'll post some pics.

Trouble is I still can't help watching both Dave's CR-7 and another CR-5 that are also up for auction.... oh and then there's that older but lovely looking LX-3.....

Arrrggghhh!!!! Help me!!!!
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Confused.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post

Arrrggghhh!!!! Help me!!!!
    It's no bloody good appealing for the help you want on this forum - everyone else has the same damned affliction.
    Ceers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Steve

We did try to warn you!

Both the CR7 and CR5 are likely to go for considerably more than you paid for the DR2. As both Dave (DSJR) and Nick (Beechwoods) have said, you've done well with the DR2 - so be content and enjoy!

Regards
    Barry

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

NOT THE LX3 unless it's ONLY for the visuals. These (and the LX5 I owned) were not the most reliable IMO and spares have long gone (including Dolby chips etc I think. Loads of wires, loads of mechanical switches and a bit of a nightmare IIRC...

The CR7 should fetch good money BECAUSE it's a CR7, not necessarily because it was the best cassette deck ever made. I bet there are equally good machines that haven't been "discovered" yet...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Thanks Gentlemen, I feel much better. In fact, I've even deleted the other Naks from my watch list, just in case one happens to be ending at a time when I'm watching AND may have imbibed slightly too much.

Do any of the cassette-heads here have any advice as to a safe and effective way to clean the heads and pinch rollers etc?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Nick.

I was extremely surprised to see this very shabby looking ZX-7 go for £400 BIN the other week. If that's what dirty uncared for and unloved machines go for, I hesitate to think what Dave's CR-7 will end at!

I think your approach is definitely sensible Steve!

In terms of cleaning, I just use Johnson's Cotton Buds, and Isopropyl Alcohol (available in non-aerosol form from Maplins - not sure if it's online though). Some say alcohol affects the rubbers, but I've never found this, and I suspect that may be borne of experiences with very old machines (pre-1970's) not using modern rubber forumulations. Anyway; you should be able to slide the front of the door up and off, allowing you to engage play while pressing a moistened cotton bud onto the pressure rollers - there will be two on your Nak. And the heads. Change the buds regularly, especially when doing the heads. You'll be surprised at the stuff on the pressure rollers.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Steve.

Cheers Nick,

That used to be the way I used to clean my decks 'back in the day', but they weren't anything special and I just wanted to check it was the right approach for a decent machine...

Really looking forward to it arriving. Always longed after a Nak in my youth, but cassette was still in it's prime, Nakamichi was THE machine to own, my funds were limited and eBay didn't exist, so it never happened. Basically this is fulfilling a dream of my youth for less than £100
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast