+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nial's System - Tannoy, Lenco & Leak

I'm Nial.

Smile Nial's System - Tannoy, Lenco & Leak

Some pics

The Lenco in slate plinth and the St 20 below, the Leak has had modern binding posts fitted and an alps pot, also wondercaps and nos telefunken output valves. The lenco was modded along the lines of the audiogon thread - resin reinforcement of top plate, replace springs with elastic, deaden idler wheel and arm with ptfe tape, rebuild and lube motor, clean and relube main bearing (and others!). I had a lingo & cirkus Linn with a Naim aro on prior to my Lenco adventure - same cartridge. I'd say this set up is an order of magnitude better, maybe 30 to 50 percent improvement. And the bass definition is of a quality the Linn never even hinted at.

The curse of the mummy effect on the arm is ptfe tape - notable reduction of strain and increase in clarity on loud passages makes this a top tip worthy of the pages of Viz.

Speakers are birch ply, extensively braced between inner walls then with plaster cast inside to give non parallel surfaces. Rapping the cabinet confirms they are VERY dead. Cheap Argos duvet for internal wadding. Internal wiring PTFE wrapped silver. Ports are adjustable and I sometimes do. Driver chassis are earthed to house earth and magnet assembly braced from rear of cabinet. Dustcap removed too. These are the 12" monitor golds with butyl surrounds, btw. Crossovers aren't stock gold crossovers with adjustable pots, but are from silver series, and are external, connection with 4 terminal Speakon. Cable to amp is twin and earth mains cable (Twin and earth mains? I'll get my coat....)

Will take some photos of the Autographs and post soon.

Nial

I'm Nick.

Hi Nial - I hope you don't mind but I've moved your pictures from the Tannoy thread into your own here. That way it's clearer to everyone to spot and we don't get too much thread drift over on the 'Marco's Tannoy' thread.

Welcome to AOS. Fantastic system you have there. I've a stock Lenco with homemade plinth and I think it sounds the business. I very much enjoy what mine does to vinyl playback
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Nial, we're not related are we? Your name is so rare around these parts and I have a London? based cousin who hailed from Nth Wales (with Irish roots too)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    Cable to amp is twin and earth mains cable (Twin and earth mains? I'll get my coat....)

Nial
    Nothing wrong with mains cable. Which size have you decided on?
    I'm on 2.5mm TE at the moment and thinking about trying some 4mm.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Nial, we're not related are we? Your name is so rare around these parts and I have a London? based cousin who hailed from Nth Wales (with Irish roots too)
    Nial's the Irish/celtic version of my name Neil, it as does my name means champion.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What, Daphne?

Away and pull yer drawers up!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hello Nial,

Interesting system you have there. I assume the VdH 'Frog' is a moving coil design - what do you use as a preamp?

I'm still getting over the shock of seeing your 'mummified' SME 3009/II!

Welcome to AoS.
    Barry

I'm andrew.

Do you have a link to the Audiogon Lenco thread ?

I'm Mark.

Don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't mind seeing the whole turntable wrapped in tape.
    I think it could be done and it should all work nicely,probably just take time and alot of careful
    wrapping of the individual parts (bearing excluded).
    Last edited by markf; 16-07-2009 at 20:15. Reason: spelling

How did you get the plaster to stick on the insides of cabs? As you know Plaster and wood don`t really adhere. I`m guessing bonding agent like pva or maybe a multitude of small tack nails that the plaster can grip. Maybe a tile adhesive type plaster?

The movement of the timber in a centrally heated house is what can break the bond of wood?plaster. I give in now

+ Reply to Thread