+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable WAF Dilemma

I'm Marc.

Default Turntable WAF Dilemma

A problem of my own making, but nevertheless I need help please!

I was getting on perfectly well with my Systemdek but the opportunity to buy a nice Planar2 came up and I had a strong ok from the missus, as she liked the look of it (it's a v1 with the nice wood bevel on it).

I gave it a tweak and fettle and got it running with my RB300, it's fine but it lacks the top end refinement of the systemdek. Herein the problem, I mentioned that I might put the systemdek back up and got a 'no' - it appears that black ash is a no-no in living room design terms.

So, I need to work out where to go from here? I'm unsure how much the upgrade route holds for the planar (ceramic bearing and cup, metal subplatter and pulley, acrylic platter and all the add on rubber bits + maybe a new motor), especially seeing as the only bit I'll be holding on to is the one that most folk ditch (the plinth).

Otherwise I'm looking at what I can do to improve the WAF of the Systemdek so that it gets allowed back in the sitting room? I saw a teak/wood plinth go on the auction site recently for fairly heavy money (all things considered) is there a budget way that I can get it out of its black skirt and in to something more acceptable. Or should I try and sell both and move on to something else? If so what? (preferably comes in a wood finish!)

TLDR: Wife likes look of Planar 2 I like sound of Systemdek and I want the best possible turntable in my system and a happy wife, what to do?

EDIT: Mods please can you fix the typo in the title?
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 09-06-2014 at 18:17.

I'm gone.

change the wife

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    change the wife
    Sound logic for sure but somehow I expect that it's more expensive than a new t-table + I'd have to get me own dinner

I'm Nodrog.

Veneer the Systemdeck?

But I'm with Jerry on this. Some choices are important

I do all the cooking anyway!

I'm Julian.

Marc - try not to compromise the sound of your hi-fi based on your wife's preferences, as whilst you won't end up in the divorce courts, I'm sure it will bug you after a while ... but if she's determined and you want to keep her happy, why don't you buy yourself something that you're happy with too and sod the expense, er, within reason of course ... I would simply tell her that you are using the Systemdek up until the point you find a suitable replacement.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Alan.

Grow some. Tell her the quality of the sound is the most important.

............and buy her some cheap shades so she can't see it so well.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Marc.

Can anyone advise on where to get HiFi tips from? I seem to have stumbled in to a marriage guidance forum....

;-)

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Can anyone advise on where to get HiFi tips from? I seem to have stumbled in to a marriage guidance forum....

;-)
    Tee hee. We are all sitting here on our mountain tops because our wives appreciate that to have chosen them must mean we have impeccable taste. You can see where this might head......

I'm Gone.

I think Relate do Hi Fi advice...... Seriously though divorce is expensive, my experience is that it's cheaper to find a stranger you don't like and buy them a house So for a wife friendly solution, I would ask the other half what wood she would like and as previously suggested, re veneer the Systemdek. Alternatively, see if she likes spider type TTs and upgrade to a Gyro, Techno or something of that ilk.

Good luck

I'm stu.

Lob her shoes you don't like in the bin.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast