+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First play of Vinyl in over 20yrs

I'm Geoff.

Well there you go. Isn't AOS great!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andr'e.

Rich:
    A Shure 'M95' cartridge can be picked up cheap, Ed Saunders styli are about £30.. Ive always rated these cartridges so much i use one myself..

I'm Gary.

I hear ya...

Just bought a record player, been buying 2nd hand vinyl like nobodies business...great fun!
    Regret making the classic mistake of selling my record collection when I was a skint Student.
    "Its alright, I'll get them all back on CD eventually" he says....

I'm sorted.

Kept all my records

I'm Gary.

Sod.

I'm peter.

I used a Pioneer 12D with Shure 75 as a student in the 1970s; ridiculously good, and probably the first excellent deck which 'ordinary' people (ie students on a grant) could buy at Comet.
    Analogue has never been surpassed; which is rather unexpected, but it's true (to my ears anyway).

''Students on a grant''.....how dreadfully younger people have been treated. Forced to pay for a degree, which at the same time has been heavily devalued. How did our society manage to get worse, rather than better? Sad, and they have to put-up with heavily degraded sound quality too.

I'm Trevor.

The Pioneer 112D was my first TT when a student in the 70"s (I think). It was an excellent piece of kit. I've had a number of TT's since before finally getting an LP12 which I love. For me nothing has ever come close to sound of vinyl.
    I kept all my vinyl over the years, even though I bought quite a lot of it on CD. The recent surge of vinyl releases and re-releases has been great to see and more often than not I opt for the vinyl rather than the CD / download. Quite a few releases now come with the CD as part of the package or with a download card which I think is a brilliant idea, especially if, like me, your vinyl system is in a different room from the household hifi.
    There are also some superb box set re-releases of classic albums which come with both vinyl and CD and include specially produced books and / or memorabilia. The best of these has to be the new super deluxe releases of Led Zeppelin 1, 11, and 111. These are expensive but nothing I've seen comes close to the opulent packaging and superb sound quality achieved by Jimmy Page. These sets also come with an HD download card for all the music in the set.

I'm Nodrog.

I have a PL112D in one of the bedroom systems. There are some subtleties that it loses to the expensive decks but the basic sound is terrific. Mine has the Shure M75ED in an SME headshell.

I still use it regularly to digitise vinyl for friends and they have all said how good the music sounds compared with the CDs they have.

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Rich:
    A Shure 'M95' cartridge can be picked up cheap, Ed Saunders styli are about £30.. Ive always rated these cartridges so much i use one myself..
    Thanks Andre I will investigate getting a new stylus further

PM me your e-mail addy Rich and I'll send PDFs of the instruction & service manual.
    Roy, thank you for the very kind offer but I have just checked and I seem to have the manuals on file. I must have downloaded them from somewhere when I first got the deck but can't remember where from

Good to see that there's still some love for these old budget decks
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Thanks Andre I will investigate getting a new stylus further
    http://www.edsaunders.com/shurestylus.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12