+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Records" or "vinyl"

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Buy your t-shirt here.

Funnily enough, I'd never heard of this "vinyls" thing until I read this thread.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Clive.

I always thought a CD was a disc!!
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep, and the vinyl was an album!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Andr'e.

The run off area between the end of the record & the label that carries the Maxtrix numbers etc is refered to as Dead Wax.

I'm Shane.

Different times, different ways. We called them records or LPs, because that's all there was. Then along came CD, MP3 et al, the world turned and a whole generation forgot. Now a new generation has discovered big black discs. Why worry about what they call them? Just be thankful that because of their growing enthusiasm, a medium once threatened by oblivion is thriving.

On a different note, If I want to catch a train, I go a railway station, which is next to a railway line. My kids go to a train station which is next to a train line. Where did that come from? For once, we can't blame our transatlantic friends; they call it a railroad...
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Nice one mate, didn't know that's where it came from.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...uzzy-purchases

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The run off area between the end of the record & the label that carries the Maxtrix numbers etc is refered to as Dead Wax.
    "Not a lot of people know that"
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Buy your t-shirt here.
    My wife just pointed out that the plural of vinyl is albums!

I'm Neil.

Records, LPs, 45s, tape, reel-to-reel, radio, FM, DAB, DAT, SACD, DVD-R, CD and files, easy.

Vinyls, if kids or adults are using these terms, then fine, who cares, they're (hopefully) listening to music! I used to be a music journalist & wow there was always a sub-genre and alternative term for everything. I used such terminology to relate my reviews back, didn't agree with them, didn't care, and people who get emotional about this stuff have issues.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Jay.

"Albums" are the books with pockets that the 10 or so individual 78rpm records (shellacs??) go in. Vinyl is for lining shelves.

I don't think it's a uniquely American phenomenon, this "vinyls" thing. I hear and read it enough in the UK.

I don't particularly care anyway, just as I don't care when the apostrophe is mis-used (though the first thing that runs through my head when someone posts something like "look at me new speaker's" is "your new speaker's what?") I still call my "turntable" a "record player" since it also has a pickup arm and a cartridge, as well as a turntable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast