+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 136 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: VFM/SPPV studio cables test

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Kevin,

Of course much will depend on the partnering system, however one thing the Gothams seem to excel at is in areas such as transient attack and timing acuity, presenting instruments such as drums with real dynamic 'snap', as well as a rather engaging and 'bouncy' rhythmic swing. They make music fun to listen to with their addictively tuneful sonic presentation!

Furthermore, because of seemingly being devoid of 'grain', they allow music to ebb and flow naturally from the quietest of backdrops (most likely a by-product of their excellent RF-rejection), allowing, for example, cymbals to shimmer with a sparkling clarity, without any sense of smearing, which I've seldom experienced from other cables.

In short, the level of clarity, resolution, and most importantly musicality, on offer from the Gothams, is astounding given their bargain-basement price. If you can, I'd defo give them a listen, as I think you'd be rather pleasantly surprised by them

Marco.
    I think I will try a pair of these having read your enthusiastic appraisal of them! At that price they should be in Lidl
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Noted - and I've just bought a pair of the Ultra Pro to check 'em out.
    You'll notice that they're quite a bit thicker than the standard GAC-1s (if you remember what they looked like). Btw, if the plugs are a slightly loose fit on the sockets of your kit, as they are on mine, simply crimp the ends a bit with some pliers. It makes a difference having nice snug connections

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think I will try a pair of these having read your enthusiastic appraisal of them! At that price they should be in Lidl
    Indeed, Jim. Let me know what you think. They certainly do some good things in my system. Worst case scenario is that you'll end up with a nice new necklace!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Kevin, I'll throw a curved ball into the mix... Before deciding on anything, I'd advise you to listen to a set of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3803165476...84.m1439.l2649

Ignore the price. The Gothams are what many well-known studios use, often to produce some top-notch recordings. If they were 'audiophile branded' cables they'd cost £100s more. I've been playing around with some recently and have been rather shocked at how good they are!

More info here: http://roadworthycables.com/gotham-cable and here: http://hey-wire-cables.myshopify.com.../guitar-cables

Marco.
    I've had a couple of pairs of these for a few years! And currently have a pair between dac and pre! I pulled them back out the draw after i sold my Mark grants (to fund a trip).
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Kevin.

I plugged the CuSat50 in last night before going to bed, and left the CD player spinning all night.
    The sound is much better than I remember on first listen. It's now sounding very good indeed. Almost as good as the Mercury (similar to the Pluto).
    I am really intrigued by current happenings, as when I begun, I didn't believe that cables would make that much difference, nor did I believe that a cable could "run in", but the sound has opened up so much more from what I remember.
    I don't think it lets as much detail through in comparison to the Mercury, but it's reasonably close. It's a nice sounding cable. It's a really tough choice between this and the Pluto, but I think I would buy the Pluto, as it's cheaper, and more than likely based on the same cable. The only difference is the plugs. (My GSP forum members 10% discount makes it even tougher choice between the two).
    I still keep going back to the Mercury though. Now I just need to figure out where in my system I should put my cables to maximise the sound quality.

So, from what I have heard during my auditions, my preferences in order for sound quality (ignoring price) are as follows:
    RFC Mercury
    MG G2000HD
    RFC Pluto & GSP CuSat50 - Hard to separate these two.
    SSC - (very close behind the two above).
    Black Rhodium Coda

VFM wise, the list would look completely different, with the SSC topping the list for me. It's a really good IC for the money.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

I have answered my original question, and I have also managed to remove all of the VDH cables from my system.
    It's sounding sweet now, but I am thinking of rearranging my room to shorten the length of speaker cable runs I currently use. I have currently got 10m runs of cable, but with a cunning bit of planning, I can probably get that down to 3m, so I can buy some better cable. That will have to wait a while though...

I have a RFC cable to pay for.
    Kevin

I'm Andrew.

These comparisons are all very well but surely it makes more sense to try and get a "full loom" of the same cable in your system to make a real meaningfull test of any interconnect. I have only done this once, and this was with Yannis IC's, and cos I've got active speakers I didnt need any speaker cable. I'd personally love a whole loom of RFC IC's, I dont think Paul would be too happy doing that though.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    RFC Mercury
    MG G2000HD
    RFC Pluto & GSP CuSat50 - Hard to separate these two.
    SSC - (very close behind the two above).
    Black Rhodium Coda
    I'm glad you've said that, because I use Mercurys twixt pre and power in a 3m length. This was a huge upgrade over some old Maplin Thor cable, unsurprisingly. I rate it highly - it really is fantastically well resolved stuff. I tried some seriously expensive ICs from a chap who used to do cables for AN UK. the other week This was twixt pre and DAC versus some Nordost Red Dawn. I was really surprised how well the Red Dawn stood up, though the mystery cables were 2m+ as opposed to the 0.6m length of Red Dawn with Eichmanns. Mind you, Nordost seem to think longer ICs sound better. I wonder why, LOL. What really surprised me, if I am totally honest, is I could hear bugger all difference between the Red Dawn and the expensive stuff. Well, really incredibly small differences might have been heard, if you know what I mean.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    These comparisons are all very well but surely it makes more sense to try and get a "full loom" of the same cable in your system to make a real meaningfull test of any interconnect. I have only done this once, and this was with Yannis IC's, and cos I've got active speakers I didnt need any speaker cable. I'd personally love a whole loom of RFC IC's, I dont think Paul would be too happy doing that though.
    I totally agree, but one cable at a time for me. My next purchase is likely to be another cable of the same type to go to the headphone amp. This is what I use the most. I'm also likely to ask Paul if he can do a much shorter cable, as I have a 0.5m cable between my amps, and it's far too long.

For my "testing", the IC connected the source component to my headphone amp, so I could hear what each cable was doing without interference from anything else. It's the only way I could achieve a meaningful audition.
    Kevin

Have those of you who ordered the Gotham GAC-1 Ultra Pros received them yet, and if so, what are your impressions?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 136 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast