+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B&K subwoofers

I'm Steve.

Default B&K subwoofers

Anyone heard these subs? Are they good value?

I'm Mark.

Yes they are very good and UK made, deciding which one to buy might be the only problem as there are few to choose from.

http://www.bkelec.com/

I'm Richard.

I've never used their subwoofers, but I had one of their mosfet amps (MXF 900? One of the big ones) for bass duties in an active system. It was very reliable but a bit soft sounding. I sold it and bought a Parasound HCA-1205A, and used 2 channels of that instead. It was much tighter.
    So if the subwoofers use the same amps, it may be relevant.

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Anyone heard these subs? Are they good value?
    Yes and yes, probably the best value subs around, sold direct hence little fanfare. BK used to make subs for one (and possibly more) of the big names and you'll notice similarities in the use of high level connectors for e.g.

I currently have an XLS200DF (10in) and have been contemplating adding a second or moving up to the larger XLS400 (12in) based on my experiences with this. These are generally considered the two models most appropriate for hi-fi, unless you have a very small room and/or main speakers for which there is the Gemini. The improvements extend right up to the midrange and is quite startling. If you're after a sub - ideally an active - then BK is a no brainer.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm gone.

Yep - they are very good and better vfm than REL, imo.

Some models have the option of choosing between forward and downward firing drive units, which can be handy.

I'm Spartacus.

I wasn't going to mention REL...

Yes, DF (downward firing) and FF (forward firing), hence the apparently bewildering range of models. But a quick email to BK is usually all that is needed for advice on which works best in a particular room
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Steve.

F..k it! I have ordered a XLs400 FF. Thanks everyone. Watch this space.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
    Yes and yes, probably the best value subs around, sold direct hence little fanfare. BK used to make subs for one (and possibly more) of the big names and you'll notice similarities in the use of high level connectors for e.g.

I currently have an XLS200DF (10in) and have been contemplating adding a second or moving up to the larger XLS400 (12in) based on my experiences with this. These are generally considered the two models most appropriate for hi-fi, unless you have a very small room and/or main speakers for which there is the Gemini. The improvements extend right up to the midrange and is quite startling. If you're after a sub - ideally an active - then BK is a no brainer.

I'm Spartacus.

Well done Steve, I stand by my recommendation! Looking fwd to your impressions.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Rockabilly.

I run two XXLS400-FF units in the main system and one XLS200-FF in my second system.
    I use the high level inputs. The phase adjustment knob and high pass filter are essential for integration.
    Also, the cherry finish matches my speaker veneer very well.

Judicious positioning and patient integration will be the virtues required for aural pleasure.
    I was fortunate to have access to a suitably responsive mic and spectrum analyser when setting up my subs.
    Last edited by camtwister; 04-06-2014 at 10:45.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    F..k it! I have ordered a XLs400 FF. Thanks everyone. Watch this space.
    How did you get on with this? I'm thinking of going down this route in the future
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread