+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just been given this Sony system...

Default Just been given this Sony system...

A neighbour kindly gave me this Sony HMP-70 music centre as a non-working project. He'd been given it by his father-in-law. He clearly hadn't tried very hard to find out what was wrong - the only thing broken was the drive belt for the turntable, for which I've ordered a replacement. Still has the original cartridge with an intact stylus, the tuner's having no trouble pikcing up a signal through the internal antenna and all the cool lights are working. Anyone know anything about these? I'm guessing mid-'70s, maybe...
    He also gave me the matching SS-5177 speakers, but one of them had the woofer totally busted, so they're going on the scrap heap. Shame.

Simon
    ------
    KEF Reference 201/2, Quad II Classic Integrated, Pure Sound P10, Pure Sound T10, Pro-Ject RPM 10, Pro-Ject 10cc, Goldring Legacy, Atlas Mavros speaker cable, NVA interconnects, Merlin Black Widow mains cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Simon,

Nice find! Any chance of a close-up of the deck with the lid off? I suspect that you've got something rather nice there!

I think you're spot-on with the era - definitely high-end Sony from the mid to late '70s.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ralph.

I would think more mid than late 70's as I remember gawping at something very similar in Laskys, Liverpool, in 74 or 75 and thinking "that's got a nice tone".
    Not cheap though, it was quite a bit dearer than an entry level separates system (Garrard SP25/Jap 20 wpc amp/Lintons) of the time so apparently aimed at the Dynatron/B&O type punter.
    Nice

Cheers

IIRC there was a version with a cassette deck alongside the t/t.
    Last edited by REM; 13-07-2009 at 09:20. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    IIRC there was a version with a cassette deck alongside the t/t.
    Indeed, a bit of perseverance with Google revealed this 1975 Sony catalogue, also showing the HMK-50 with tape deck.
    http://audioidiots.com/merk.catalogu...gusID=512#P005

Trouble is, once I've got it all working, where the bloody hell am I going to put it?
    Simon
    ------
    KEF Reference 201/2, Quad II Classic Integrated, Pure Sound P10, Pure Sound T10, Pro-Ject RPM 10, Pro-Ject 10cc, Goldring Legacy, Atlas Mavros speaker cable, NVA interconnects, Merlin Black Widow mains cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Close up?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Close up?

Marco.
    I'll take one tonight, I promise.
    Simon
    ------

Best I could manage in the failing light...

Simon
    ------

I'm Steve.

Nice. I remember my Dad had a Sony, it was a HMK 3000, I remember it well and it ended up in my bedroom! I just scored some Mission 77's and an old JVC amp for free so I too am feeling chuffed!
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

+ Reply to Thread