+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Croft amplification with Tannoy Turnberry speakers

I'm Josie.

Hi Ian.

Sorry about the delay.

When I had my 7R made Glenn advised me to not have the stock wpc of the 7R but to reduce it to 30wpc with the tannoys This was a superb move as the sound was really nice. It seemed less strained somehow. It's a mod he does to amps that are driving efficient speakers but you will have to ask him the technical stuff.

Very worthwhile for Tannoys IMO.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle owl View Post
    If I were to buy a Croft pre and power amplifier combination, which would be the best way to go ? I don't have a turntable. I'm considering a Micro 25 line pre amp together with a 7R power. Or, would i be better off with a Micro 25R line pre and a 7 power ?
    Don't take the above advice to go for 25R/7 as gospel; it's very much system dependent and I would try and demo both options. In some cases, with some speakers, it is better to get the extra control with the power amp, and in some cases the regulation in the pre can almost open things up too much. Saying that if you get the right valve in the Series 7 it can be a great combination with a 25R.

I'm Geoffrey.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantears View Post
    Don't take the above advice to go for 25R/7 as gospel; it's very much system dependent and I would try and demo both options. In some cases, with some speakers, it is better to get the extra control with the power amp, and in some cases the regulation in the pre can almost open things up too much. Saying that if you get the right valve in the Series 7 it can be a great combination with a 25R.
    Thank you Andrew.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Sorry to dive in again, but my experiences with the R and RS preamp models is that they NEVER tell you how 'revealing' they are (the stock one gives all the detail there is in a given recording anyway I think). What these expensive refinements do is allow the circuit to operate more effectively and this is heard in the easier way it is to 'perceive' this detail in the playing and things going on far back in the mix. The SOUND doesn't really change at all. In fact, the RS needed a few minutes to 'creep up' on me when I first heard it, but the huge cheesy grin on my face subsequently spoke volumes.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoffrey.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Sorry to dive in again, but my experiences with the R and RS preamp models is that they NEVER tell you how 'revealing' they are (the stock one gives all the detail there is in a given recording anyway I think). What these expensive refinements do is allow the circuit to operate more effectively and this is heard in the easier way it is to 'perceive' this detail in the playing and things going on far back in the mix. The SOUND doesn't really change at all. In fact, the RS needed a few minutes to 'creep up' on me when I first heard it, but the huge cheesy grin on my face subsequently spoke volumes.
    Thank you Dave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123