+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album sleeve repair tips?

I'm Donny.

Default Album sleeve repair tips?

I've got a couple of (inexpensive) albums where the glue has failed on the seams, and I'd like to repair them as it makes getting the inner sleeve in and out a complete pain.

The two obvious solutions I can think of are:

Double sided tape. But which type of tape?

Glue. But which glue?

Anyone done this before, got any tips or words of advice?
    Has anyone done this a long time ago and now wishes they'd not? (ruined sleeve, came unstuck again, etc)
    I didn't even know that Mutya had left the Sugarcubes.

I'm Andr'e.

As you know the glue used on old packets is quite thick, you need to remove this very carefully with a knife blade.contact adhesive is good but only apply a fine line of it. When applying pressure get yourself something to slip inside the sleeve which is {Importantly} the thickness of the inside because otherwise you will squash the edge of the packet, the idea is to keep the packets form.

Dont be tempted to use clothes pegs to hold it, they will put impression on the cover.

I'm Donny.

So a sheet of corrugated card inside might be enough to keep the form?
    Good point about the clothes pegs.

Regarding the glue/tape type, I was hoping for specific brands/product name recommendations. I've found a few posts about this sort of thing elsewhere but they're US based, using products we don't have in the UK.
    I didn't even know that Mutya had left the Sugarcubes.

I'm Gone.

Hi Donny

The best method I've found is to use these glue tape pens http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Permanent-...item51ab4fb3d5. They have a paper tape internally and this deposits a glue film onto the sleeve tab. Place a piece of card inside the sleeve to support the inner tab and rub firmly, the joint is instant and permanent. If the joint has not given all the way and you can't treat the whole tab, try gently warming with a hair dryer to get the old glue to release. I've done over a dozen today as a result of a good Saturday's crate digging and it only takes a couple of minutes per sleeve.

Best of luck
    Last edited by PaulStewart; 01-06-2014 at 13:21.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I simply use a glue stick.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Make sure if you glue you glue on a non glued area as the new glue can be affected by the old

I've thought of repairing my dodgy LP sleeves but have so far left them alone and spend a little longer putting the LP back, so far...
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm ChrisB.

Pritt

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Pritt
    Snap!
    Barry

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Pritt
    Pritt never works for me as it doesn't have enough grip 99% of the time the glue pen goes over the old glue happily. If there is a lot of it soften it with a gentle hair dryer, and use the BACK off a stanley blade to remove it

I'm ChrisB.

Stick it with Pritt, then jam into into the tightest point in your record storage shelves! Leave the record out for maximum squishage.
    That's my method.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast