+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rega Mira Pre Amp Question

I'm Andrew.

Default Rega Mira Pre Amp Question

Help needed please. I intend to use my Mira as a pre amp. Can you switch off the power amp section and adjust the pre amp gain internally on the Mira 2000 in the way you can on the Mira 3? If so do I remove only the back panel to access it or is there more casework removal necessary? Any advice on the gain settings? Thanks in advance.

I'm Andrew.

O.K. no response to this. So before I delve inside. What might be the advantages of switching off the power amp section? In the instructions for the Mira 3 it says you may want to get a dealer to do this if using it as a pre amp.

I'm Martin.

From reading this http://www.stereophile.com/integrate...ega/index.html it looks like you can split the pre and power section but you have to do this internally rather than just removing some jumpers from the pre out/power in sockets. That means opening the case but you shouldn't have to remove anything else internally to get to the jumpers. Whether they are obvious once you get inside I have no idea but I doubt they would make it too complex to perform. But if you don't do this you will not be able to separate the pre and power functions.

Is it worth it? Depends on whether you have a better power amp to substitute in for the Mira power amp section which I guess you do or you wouldn't be asking. I'd take the cover off and see what's what. If it is not immediately obvious stick a photo of the innards up on here and someone who knows will no doubt advise.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Martin. Yes I am using a better power amplifier. I will have a look inside. I presume the sonic gains will be slight but everything counts I suppose.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Why not ask Rega themselves? I believe Terry designed all of them over the years, and as I recall, he doesn't bite - not hard anyway... There may be rail fuses for the power amp side so this would be easy to do if so.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrew.

I took the lid off to have a look. There are two very small, but easy to find, on, off switches. One for each channel and labelled, identifying them as the pre amplifier isolating switches. Could not have been easier. Is there a difference now in sound? I'm not so sure.

+ Reply to Thread