+ Reply to Thread

Thread: End of Analogue Radio Transmissions UK. When?

I'm Geoff.

Default End of Analogue Radio Transmissions UK. When?

I'm still tempted to buy another tuner. Does anybody know definitively when UK FM transmissions might be ended? There's an awful lot of varied opinion and misinformation on the net, so it's not clear cut.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Last I read they had decided to abandon a set switch off date and play it by ear. So to speak. I think it was originally set to be 2015.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ralph.

I think it'll be a long while yet. I've recently reinstated my big Pioneer tuner back in the system and I'm wondering why I removed it in the first place.
    Ralph.

I'm James.

Wasn't is the Labour government that desperately wanted to kill off FM ? IIRC it was always them banging on about it... Not heard much since the last election... What if/when they get back in ? Might be RIP FM then.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The intention was to only think about switching off analogue when the market penetration of DAB receivers had reached 50%. As far as I know this has not been achieved: despite the propaganda, DAB has not been embraced as much as the manufacturers or broadcasters would have liked.

I think the BBC has put the whole analogue/digital business on hold - postponing the switch off indefinitely.
    Barry

I'm Stephen.

Get one of these for your workshop Geoff. Sounds really nice.

Ferguson Radio.jpg

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    Get one of these for your workshop Geoff. Sounds really nice.

Ferguson Radio.jpg
    Won't need one Stephen. I've already got a sixties Phillips valve radio in the workshop.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stephen.

But does it sound as good as the Fergie!?! I was really surprised at how good it sounded when I got mine working. It was like stepping back in time with everything sounding, er, nice. It's the nicest and most natural I've heard from a radio.

I'm Nigel.

I think the previous administration was keen to get DAB going as it allowed a greater number of local, community and minority interest stations, all of which could be charged a fee for broadcasting licences. (In other words yet more TAX!)

However, unlike the old UHF television spectrum (now used to provide 4G internet), the FM spectrum is of little use for anything else, so there is no real point in shutting it down.

In addition to domestic radio sets, there are probably 20 million FM radio sets fitted to motor vehicles. Updating those to DAB would be both expensive and complex, and would do nothing for the popularity of the incumbent government!

Nigel.

+ Reply to Thread