+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guilty Pleasures – What place ‘Easy Listening’?

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hi Tom,

I confess I didn't distinguish between the two. There is music that will be played in the background and I will not be giving it my full attention because I will be doing something else at the same time: reading; talking to friends who have may have called in; cooking, or sat at the computer as I am at the moment. All this kind of music will be that which can be listened to and given the full attention which some might say it deserves. Then there is the more demanding and challenging music that must be listened to with concentration: usually 2nd Viennese school classical, or avant-garde jazz - it would be pointless playing this sort of music in the background.

Then there is what I call "easy listening" - music simply to relax to. It doesn't require one's full attention, so could be included in your first category. I do not dismiss it as being 'unserious', trivial or any other pejorative term one might choose. There is a place for such music, it is not to dismissed as being of inferior quality; looked down upon by music snobs, and one ought not to feel any sense of guilt in admitting to the enjoyment of such.

And, by the way, such “easy listening” is just as worthy of a good reproduction as music from any other genre.
    Interesting. I'm not sure I understand entirely what demanding/challenging amounts to in this context, but - in my case - I find that at least some music to which these adjectives could easily be applied can work very well in the background.

For background music for working (which mostly involves reading and writing), I like more or less anything that can establish a certain mood or tone within my workspace, without also inserting itself into the foreground and irresistibly pulling on my attention. I find that anything embodying certain kinds of melodic structure - typical of, say, pop or rock - or that emphasises vocals (esp. if these are in English) is highly unsuited to this. But some of the music that works best is certainly 'challenging' on a standard understanding of that term, - say, free Jazz, or noise music - precisely because, like much purportedly difficult music, it lacks a strong melodic component.

For background music for cooking/cleaning, I like anything with a little bounce or oomf, and more melodic stuff works very well.

As for easy listening, considered as music simply to relax to, this can be more or less anything for me - difficult music can be very relaxing or 'easy', if that's what I'm in the mood for.

On the general point, though, against musical/intellectual snobbery, I'm with you entirely

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Excellent landmark post Barry!
    I used to have guilty pleasures aplenty. But that was when I didn't know any better!

Del Amitri
    Dusty In Memphis
    James Taylor are the first three that come to mind.

I wouldn't call any of them Easy Listening with a capital 'E' and a capital 'L' though

As for doing other things while playing music, well...........doing the washing-up to the strains of 'Return of the Son of Monster Magnet' is like a walk in the park to the likes of me!

I suppose that the only real guilty pleasure I have nowadays is cheesy surf guitar cover versions........especially surf-style covers of Zappa songs!

Oh my, how we laughed!
    Chris – only you would choose ‘Return of the Son of Monster Magnet’ as music to accompany the washing up! What do you listen to whilst ironing – the Beach Boys, imagining you are surfing on the ironing board?

In mentioning “cheesy covers” you have made me aware of another sub-stratum in music taxonomy: ‘cheesy music’. How about Zappa’s do-wop numbers, such as ‘WPLJ’?
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

What do you listen to whilst ironing – the Beach Boys, imagining you are surfing on the ironing board?
    Do you know what? It's funny that you should say that......

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ing#post220399

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ning#post50843

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ning#post50986

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ning#post51006

In mentioning “cheesy covers” you have made me aware of another sub-stratum in music taxonomy: ‘cheesy music’. How about Zappa’s do-wop numbers, such as ‘WPLJ’?
    Surely everyone by now knows that cheese is part of my staple diet!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Well as most of you know I have little music taste in many eyes (ears?) so it will come as no surprise I like Easy Listening... I even have a selection of "test card" music which I often listen to... Or maybe that should be Elevator Listening? Do love a bit of Carpenter as well...
    Oh I never said I had any taste Alex. I have already admitted I have a couple of Oasis discs (as well as a Coldplay disc)!

As the Romans would have said: De gustibus non est disputandem. (In matters of taste there is no dispute.)

Anyway, I will always be grateful to you for putting the title to ‘Slip into Something More Comfortable’:

(Damn it, just listening to it makes me want to go on holiday again!)
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I have already admitted I have a couple of Oasis discs (as well as a Coldplay disc)!
    Oh the shame! I'd have kept quiet about that Barry.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I see I replied to a couple of those posts, so subconciously that is where I must have got the idea from. Not so original after all.
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12