+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Continued overleaf......

I'm ChrisB.

Default Continued overleaf......

Something that niggles me a bit when viewing a forum (& that goes for all of them) is this:

Problem:
    It's easy to miss the last entry on a page if the posting on a thread is fast & furious. This doesn't affect me so much as a reader of posts because I tend to read things methodically & often flick back a page to see how the thread has progressed. But sometimes it's frustrating as a poster to have your last missive overlooked by one & all because it was the last one on a page & you posted just before someone else, who then gets their message up on the top of the next page. The banter from that point to the end of the page is often devoid of any reference to the 'lost poster'. I'm not saying this just as a result of my posts, but it's become quite obvious to me that this is fairy common from what I've seen when I've been looking for subjects for the 'From The Grave' thread. Folks might feel like they're being pushy if they keep saying 'Did you see what I just wrote'!! Others might also think they're being pushy too!

I just feel sometimes threads could have gone very differently if this problem could be averted.

Possible Solution:
    Is there a way that each new page can have something it it's header that gives a precis of the last post on the previous page in a similar way that the first few words of a thread are quoted on the 'Last Post' column of each room listing?

I'm Nick.

I'll look into this Chris. One thing that you might like to experiment with is 'Hybrid Mode'. It hides in the 'Display Modes' option at the top right of each thread. This gives a 'tree' view of the discussion with a few words from each post on each branch. This may go some way to giving you the reminder of the prior post, out of the box as it were.

Also bear in mind that the influence of the effect you describe depends on the number of posts per page users have set in their Control Panel. I agree though that most would stick with the default.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I'll look into this Chris. One thing that you might like to experiment with is 'Hybrid Mode'. It hides in the 'Display Modes' option at the top right of each thread. This gives a 'tree' view of the discussion with a few words from each post on each branch. This may go some way to giving you the reminder of the prior post, out of the box as it were.

Also bear in mind that the influence of the effect you describe depends on the number of posts per page users have set in their Control Panel. I agree though that most would stick with the default.
    Yep,
    I know what you're saying, but it's not my management of what I read that's the problem - I've got that covered!
    It's other people missing them that causes a thread to lose it's potential depth & breadth of discussion. Just thought that if there was a reminder at the top of a new page, everyone could see it.

As usual, it's not a moan, but just a suggestion to make the place work better for everyone.

I'm Confused.

Smile

Hi Chris,
    Same thought has often struck me. Another possible solution may be to create a system on the forum that automatically directs each member, not to the very latest post, but to the one following the last one he looked at. We all can get an e-mail automatically as soon as a thread that we have subscribed to gets another posting BUT this same e-mail also advises us that we will not get further e-mails until we re-visit that thread. In other words the last posting each of us read is 'tagged', therefore it MAY be possible to arrange for the system to take us back to that posting, rather than the last posting (where these are different).
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Nick.

I know ya not moaning Chris - it's a bloody good observation I know it's not a solution, but I wanted to point out what the software does 'out of the box' before we get into modifications...

There's one other thing to mention - if users got into the habit of using the 'Go Advanced' reply button, rather than the Quick Reply box, they'd be able to scroll down to see the last 10 posts or so, regardless of whether they were on a new page or not.

I think this gives you want you want, but the only thing is it's not visible when using the 'Quick Reply' option, which most people use I guess.

I'll have a poke around and see if there are any other things that can be done, anyway...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

I know ya not moaning Chris - it's a bloody good observation I know it's not a solution, but I wanted to point out what the software does 'out of the box' before we get into modifications...
    No, of course, I appreciate that, mate.

There's one other thing to mention - if users got into the habit of using the 'Go Advanced' reply button, rather than the Quick Reply box, they'd be able to scroll down to see the last 10 posts or so, regardless of whether they were on a new page or not.
    Ha, I'm well aware of that! I very rarely start in the quicky box but when I do, I almost always end up switching.

I think this gives you want you want, but the only thing is it's not visible when using the 'Quick Reply' option, which most people use I guess.
    I think they do

I'll have a poke around and see if there are any other things that can be done, anyway...
    Cheers

I'm Confused.

Smile Responsibilities.

See new thread,
    DaveC
    Last edited by DaveK; 12-07-2009 at 23:03. Reason: Posted wrongly - should have been a new thread - now is.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

+ Reply to Thread