+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Troels Gravesen Jenzen build.

I'm Martin.

Crossover boxes look amazingly good. I like that you are making it up as you go along, planning is for wimps!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Crossover boxes look amazingly good. I like that you are making it up as you go along, planning is for wimps!
    Ooh, I'm having that for my signature!
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

It seems I moved a picture and lost it. So here it is again; don't get too excited.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Just a little something I've got ready. Any guesses where they fit?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    ABD.

I'm Alex.

Did you use the T25C003 tweeter or the T25CF001 that has the fluid?

I am going to build these and i'm not sure which tweeter would be better. Can't find much online about the difference other than the fluid.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by alexm84 View Post
    Did you use the T25C003 tweeter or the T25CF001 that has the fluid?

I am going to build these and i'm not sure which tweeter would be better. Can't find much online about the difference other than the fluid.
    I used the 003 without ferrofluid. As I understand it, the ferrofluid allows greater power and volume, as it it cools the tweeter. But as I have also read various comments that it doesn't sound as good at sane levels, I decided not to use it. I listen more at low level than high. I may be mistaken, but that was my reasoning.
    Curiously, the 001 is cheaper than the 003 from Audio Components, who I use. http://www.audio-components.co.uk/st...CategoryID=139
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

A little more done, the top box backs are veneered. I had some wenge veneer, so I used it. Bloody hell, if the oak was fiddly, this stuff is worse! Apart from the lethal splinters, it just splits into strings. And the dust is horrid.
    I've also inserted the threaded steel dowels into the sides, so I can bolt the boxes to the steel back supports. I need to work out the force on the top bolts and find springs that will give me some acoustic isolation. Or at least that's the theory!
    [IMG][/IMG]

I didn't really need to bother with the backs, but in for a penny.......
    ABD.

I'm Nodrog.

i agree about Wenge, 'orrible stuff. One of my tutors persuaded me to use it for the trims on one of my guitars. I cursed him for weeks. You can imagine the fun I had bending it for purflings and bindings. Even soaked for a few days before the bending iron, it split all over the place. If you look under a magnifying glass, you can see all the places I had to fill with superglue and dust (Actually, it was probably epoxy and dust back then, I don't think superglue was around in that epoque - or should that be epoxy?)

I'm Richard.

I'm not even bothering with sanding sealer, or filling the joins with this. It's only the backs, and I'm losing the will to live! I started these nearly a year ago!
    I've borrowed a pair of Neat floor standers, but I can't wait to get mine back, even without them being tuned.
    I bought a CD yesterday, Toumani and Sidiki (Diabate) dueting on kora. I suspect I will be using it to voice the speakers; it nearly had me in tears even in the car! If I can't re-capture the magic with these speakers, then they are plain wrong! If you can play track 5, "Lampedusa", in memory of the boatload of migrants who drowned last year, it is absolutely haunting!
    ABD.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    I'm not even bothering with sanding sealer, or filling the joins with this. It's only the backs, and I'm losing the will to live! I started these nearly a year ago!
    I've borrowed a pair of Neat floor standers, but I can't wait to get mine back, even without them being tuned.
    I bought a CD yesterday, Toumani and Sidiki (Diabate) dueting on kora. I suspect I will be using it to voice the speakers; it nearly had me in tears even in the car! If I can't re-capture the magic with these speakers, then they are plain wrong! If you can play track 5, "Lampedusa", in memory of the boatload of migrants who drowned last year, it is absolutely haunting!
    A year

What patience you must have. I was running out of the will after two weeks with the Teufels. Maybe because it was the second pair but probably just because I'm an impatient bugger.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast