+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Another Troels Gravesen Jenzen build.

I'm Jan.

Maybe NORAD have some leftovers http://science.howstuffworks.com/norad2.htm
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

I'm Richard.

Lol! I'll ask for a price.
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Last edited by awkwardbydesign; 18-08-2014 at 19:54.
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Had a bake off today. Speaker cables sorted the wooly bass. Whodathunkit?
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Just changed the Jantzen MOX resistors (tweeter attenuation) for Mills wirewound. I wish these things didn't make a difference! There is less "edge " to the treble now.
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Well, over two years on and I think they may be finished, at least soundwise. I have rebuilt the crossovers, up to the NEXT spec, with decent components, and although they have only been running for the last hour, I don't think I can do much more with them. It would take all new drivers improve them, I think, and that won't happen.
    I am now starting to build a type 26 valve preamp, having heard one in my own system, so that should keep me busy for a while! I am having to learn how to use simulation programmes, which is totally alien to me.
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Six years on, and I measured them with REW, and discovered that I needed to tilt them down to get on the mid driver axis, which cured a comb effect dip at crossover. But my wife and I listened to some Quad 2905s, and as she really liked the sound of them, these will be up for sale very soon. At 100kg each they will take some shifting though! At least they separate into two parts.

I'm Phil.

Hi dick , best wishes with your next purchase , I do like the sound of the electrostatics , ill try tilting the top cab , waiting on a valab phono stage from Taiwan , sounds
    wonderfull for cheap money , and im building a passive pre with slagle autoformers and a sieden stepped switch to go with the mng da monoblocs . I had to much wool
    in the top cabs i managed to get it out from the back and its made a big difference , best wishes phil.
    Phil.

I'm Richard.

Hi Phil. What were the effects of overstuffing? And how did it change when you removed some? I found similar with the bass cabs, but I had added more and had to remove it. Now they follow the Chris Rodgers Pro 9TL method. Although I haven't added the foam at the mouth at the moment; I will experiment some more with that, but I think it is room dependent.

This is the thread about the Shackman HB3s I am playing with. About £30 spent so far! https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...-hb3s-sort-of/

I'm Richard.

I was measuring the response of these yesterday, in case they needed fine tuning, and the the left speaker had a horrendous response! Big mid peak and hardly any treble. WTF? I swapped tweeters, swapped crossovers, measured amplifier outputs, driver and crossover responses, no improvement. Then discovered the interconnect I was using to feed the signal to the pre-amp was faulty! Grr. All good now, and both channels match. Phew! But the two sides of my room don't, and the room damping I've added absorb a bit too much HF. But the tweeter attenuation is switchable anyway.

I'll pad down the mids a little more, with a switch for individual room preferences.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast