+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The SPU Royal GM Mkii cart - Splendid!

I'm Josie.

Default The SPU Royal GM Mkii cart - Splendid!

Hi all.

A few weeks ago I invited Marco up for a listen of the system. What a great day!

On this occasion he brought something rather special up for me to have a little listen to. Namely it was the Ortofon SPU Royal GM Mkii cart.

This is what my Thorens TD124 was made for I can tell you that. After we got it all balanced up on the deck Marco brought out one of 45 RPM The Doors albums. We stuck it on seeing as it was something we were both used to listening to. We started with the flip side which was ‘The End’. From the lavish psychedelic guitar genius noodling at the start the sound was absolutely amazing. Rich in tone, powerful and gutsy. Jim Morrison's voice was really quite amazing, rock solid in the stage.

Throughout the rest of the rather long track the sound was simply stunning bringing drama into the stage which made you sit up and listen intensely yet again.

Next up was one of my favorites, Brian Auger, Julie Driscoll and the Trinity - Open. This album is an original stereo version on Marmalade. In superb nick too!. From the off the opening track booted out the jam like a Jam kicking jammy dodger. The hammond of which Brian plays is on fire and hearing the keys tap as he plays is really something. With amazing texture and realism.

Other tracks like ‘Season of the Witch’ and ‘Black Cat’ (Ow!) came across rich and full of atmosphere.

Next up was a classical number which Marco brought along namely ‘Falla the three cornered hat’ - What a great LP… Lot’s of detail, ambience and weight. This was a real treat with the SPU indeed. There is so much environmental information that goes on with this album, a superb production/recording.

Marco also brought some valves with him to try out. All 6SL7’s for the Croft pre. When before I had mostly NOS MELZ in there we changed over the pair on the phono stage with some Sylvania’s, this added a more relaxed mid-range whilst the Amperex was fitted in to the middle valve position. With just the Amperex in place the sound stage deepened, this was immediately noticeable and so it stayed as we decided to use The Doors ‘The End’ as a reference.

Also spinning on LP and CD was Goldfrapp ‘Tales of us’ and Roisin Murphy ‘ Overpowered’. I’m a big fan of Moloko, Roisin Murphy and with the new valves in place the sound came across that little more rhythmic.

So after lots of (but not to much) experimentation we got to a point where the sound from CD (TEAC P-500 and D-500) and the Turntable (Thorens TD124, SME 3009 S2 (none improved) ) became a wonderful listen from vintage rock, crossover jazz/psych, classical, electronica and dance.

There has to be something said here about the amplifier with the Tannoy Monitor Golds too. I can’t think of any other type of amplifier like my Tube Distinctions KT120 valve amp that really brings these vintage speakers into their own.

The day was great opportunity to show Marco the Spec 3 Tannoyista external crossovers too which really let the drivers excel. The amount of realism and sheer scale of the 15” drivers really move the air but never harshly and so the sound stays gelled together, focused and coherent. Here's a pic of the Spec 3's.

More pics of the main system here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...d-psychedelics

The other thing I can fully recommend is the Lentek SUT (fettled nicely by Nick Gorham) which ran direct in to the internal phono stage of the croft. Albeit quite a bit different I had one of the original MC phono cathode follower stages designed and made by Nick (Longdog Audio)
    and it was a really nice bit of kit.

Here's an internal pic of my old Nick Gorham MC phono. Superb!

When I get an SPU… (dreams) I’ll certainly be looking at both options again.

There is something about the SPU cart that really makes things build, flourish and decay perfecly. I really want one… So if you have means, you should try one… it’s proper choice!

“...A splendid time is guaranteed for all”
    Joe

System:-
    Pre: Croft Epoch Elite - (Modified with Khozomo MKII Attenuator amongst other things)
    TT: Thorens TD124 - (Schopperised)
    Cart: Goldring G800 - (By North West Audio)
    Tonearm: SME 3009 SII - None improved - (By Audio Origami)
    Digital: Teac P-500 & D-500
    Amplification: KT120 driven amplifier with separate PSU - (By Tube Distinctions)
    Loudspeakers: 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold in vintage Lockwood Universal cabinets - (Ex CTS Wembley & Toe Rag Studios)
    Crossovers: Tannoyista 'SPEC 3' custom made external crossovers
    Interconnect cables: Mark Grant G2000HD's with WBT Ag - Mark Grant Oyaide FTVS-510 pure silver digital coax fitted with WBT 0110 Ag
    Mains: Mark Grant - DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables - Silver Plated - Mark Grant 6 way Mains block
    Speaker cable: Mark Grant Van Damme Blue 6mm main speaker cable & Van Den Hul The Wind MKII Hybrid crossover cable
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 14-05-2014 at 17:20.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Superb write up as ever Joe, even a digital boy like me thoroughly enjoyed reading it

I hope to have a decent SPU one day for my 401.

(now I'm off to play The Doors)
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Andrew.

I've been eyeing up one of these http://ortofon.com/hifi/products/car...ster-silver-gm for my 301/SME 3012 setup. I've been in contact with my local hifi shop that I use (Audiovation in Huddersfield), but it seems they are like hens teeth to audition.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have a 'cooking' SPU GM dartridge used in an SME 3012 on a Thorens 124/II. Yes, there is something "special" about the Ortofon SPU, but then I guess there should be: Ortofon invented the moving-coil cartridge, and the stereo version (the SPU) in 1959. The SPU has never been out of production.

I put in the top three: EMT > Ortofon > Denon. (I have yet to hear a Koetsu cartridge in my system, so must reserve judgement)
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Great write up and photos there Joe, sounds like you had a great time.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Josie.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, it was a great day.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Andy.

Any music would sound great in that room Joe. Glad you enjoyed your day.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I've been eyeing up one of these http://ortofon.com/hifi/products/car...ster-silver-gm for my 301/SME 3012 setup. I've been in contact with my local hifi shop that I use (Audiovation in Huddersfield), but it seems they are like hens teeth to audition.
    FWIW, I think Deco Audio in Aylesbury (I know - a long way from Yorkshire) actually has some in stock but whether they have one up for audition is another matter..

P
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Kember View Post
    FWIW, I think Deco Audio in Aylesbury (I know - a long way from Yorkshire) actually has some in stock but whether they have one up for audition is another matter..

P
    Peter,

MANY MANY thanks, its worth a try but I dont think they are going to send me £2K worth of cartridge, still worth a try!!

Andy
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Peter,

MANY MANY thanks,
    Andy
    Andy,

We aim to please!

P
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast