+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expensive HDMI Cables

I'm Steve.

I have a very expensive Chord Company HDMI cable and it is no different to the 3 metre cheapo i bought off the net.

I'm Steve.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Art of Sound, so I hope you don't mind me joining the discussion?

My view on digital cables has always been that the technical specification is the key. For HDMI, this is wrapped up quite neatly by the HDMI version number (eg. 1.4, 2.0, etc) which should establish that the cable meets specific criteria for data throughput. For lower data requirements (eg. digital stereo audio over a co-axial S/PDIF cable), you are unlikely to ever encounter any problems. However, as TV resolutions and colour depths are increasing every year (we are now up to 4160p or "4k" pictures in many homes), the data that the HDMI cables have to pass also increases massively. Lower-specification (not always lower priced!) cables will then start to reach their limits, giving data losses that often show as "speckles" on the screen.

I would concur that HDMI cables shouldn't have to be expensive, however I do think that the quality (ie. data bandwidth) is critically important. I don't have any displays above 1080p at home, so I use fairly low cost HDMI 2.0 cables with no problems at all. For longer cable runs (ie. over 10m) it can be worth considering an "active" cable (ie. one with a small signal booster built in) to avoid data loss.

For background, I'm an Electronics graduate who runs a bespoke cabling business, so I will admit to not being completely impartial on this issue! #runningforcover

I would be interested to hear what you think!

Kind regards, Steve.
    My day job: Making bespoke audio cables
    My current kit: B&O Beosystem 3500, Royd Minstrels, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Kef Ci50R, B&O Beotime, B&O Beolab Penta III, B&O Beolab 3000, Behringer Xenyx 302USB, Acer H6510BD projector, GrandView 75" screen, Dell media PC.
    My website: www.soundsheavenly.com
    My email: steve@soundsheavenly.com

I'm Neil.

I'm with you in that the specs rule for these types of cables, so there is little benefit in getting an 'expensive videophile' cable when you can instead ensure that you are getting a properly specified one. Could be worth looking into: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm mike.

its been said that there are only 2 types of HDMI cable, "standard" and "high speed" and that the rest ie 4k and versions 1.1, 1.2 etc are just marketing bunkum to charge more. its also said that "high speed" cables can handle 4k res.

I'm Gary.

Hate to differ here, but I'll go for it.

Tried numerous HDMI cables of varying quality (and expense) to find the right one for my setup.
    Found noticeable, repeatable and obvious differences between a lot of them.

Some are better than others, some a lot better.

Like everything in this game, its all about the context of your system.
    And price doesn’t always determine how good something is.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 01-12-2018 at 13:45.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm David.

I would be nice to know which one was the best in your system.

Sorry have seen you have given some details on a different thread.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    I would be nice to know which one was the best in your system.

Sorry have seen you have given some details on a different thread.
    Hope it was helpful David!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

There is no direct correlation between price and performance with HDMI and it is possible to buy a very well made cable for not very much. For longer runs and 4k it is worth seeking out a Redmere cable as this technology does make a difference.

I bought a whole bunch of very affordable HDMI cables on a recent visit to the USA. I tried them all with my recently upgraded 4k smart tvs, and there were no real differences between the different cables. One positive note is that the newer Redmere cables are much thinner and more flexible than my older cables.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12