1 12.50%

0 0%

1 12.50%

2 25.00%

0 0%

3 37.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 145: 13/05/2014: The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight (2004)

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club - Week 145: 13/05/2014: The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight (2004)

This week's selection after a bit of a shuffle round comes from Alex_UK - yes, he's still alive, and in fact has donned the Album Club tights and cape for this week!
    Please remember, you should listen to the album in full before voting (if you can stomach it!)

The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Midnight (2004)

You've probably heard of the Swedish band before, but it is unlikely any of these songs will be familiar unless you're a fan of the band. Formed in 1992, this is their 5th studio album, and is markedly different from the earlier albums which brought them much pop success. Sugar is swapped for sombre, and rather than the chart-pleasing dance-pop sound that we were used to we get a much darker introspective Cardigans, with a Country influence - but don't let that put you off!

The album is dominated by the wonderful voice of Nina Persson, with some really well written lyrics, which I always admire especially when English is the second language of those concerned. Couple that with some great songwriting and tight musicianship and you have a very mature and considered collection of songs.

I will let you be the judge for yourself, but the standout track for me is "And Then You Kissed Me" - IMHO a simply stunning (in all senses of the word) track about domestic violence, which Nina has said wasn't autobiographical. A sequel (imaginatively titled And Then You Kissed Me II!) featured on the next album, 2005's Super Extra Gravity which continues along the same theme as this one, if you want to hear more... Currently, the 9 year old Super Extra Gravity is their "latest" album, though the band haven't split up, and remain unchanged from their original line-up - just having taken a few breaks for other projects.

I hope you enjoy my selection, for those that have suffered some of my previous choices, remember to "listen without prejudice!"

Spotify:

Grooveshark:
    http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Long...aylight/197095

You Tube:

Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cardigans
    Last edited by Album Club; 26-05-2014 at 22:59.

MartinT Guest

This has been in my very top selection of albums for a good while now. Persson's voice is a beautiful thing and bears up to the intense scrutiny provided in this set of songs. The band are tight and the songwriting full of hooks and beauty. For me, the highlight is Feathers and Down where that achingly beautiful voice takes control and there are some very interesting key/chord changes towards the end of the song. For me, a proper 10/10.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Good choice Alex, can't remember when I last heard this, could even be as long as 2004? I expect it to score reasonably well, but I'll give it a few listens first - I do struggle a bit with Nina Persson's voice though, finding it a little too 'nice' and very poppy, not enough gravel and hard times in there for my taste.

I'm pretty sure I don't have this one, but will need to check when I get home, so its Spotify at work for now.
    Last edited by Tim; 14-05-2014 at 08:09.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Wow - a 10/10 from MartinT! I know what you mean Tim, about the "gravel" but for me I enjoy the juxtaposition of the "sweet" voice over the quite dark music (in places) and the lyrics, of course. Thanks for giving it a listen.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

(And I have to give it a 10 too - very rare I would score any album a 10, but there really isn't anything that I could justifiably point out that would cause a loss of points. That it has been played on at least a monthly basis for the past decade must say something about how much I love this album, and it is pretty well recorded, too.)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Barry.

Nothing for me here, listened to the whole lot, found it very MOR , no edge to any of the songs, 2/10 for Feathers and Down.

I'm Mark.

This is another band I've heard of but haven't really listened to before, so thank you Alex_UK for suggesting this one. I liked this album overall and while I do agree that Nina Persson's voice is "poppy" the music is well written, performed and recorded. My wife and I were listening to it together and on "A Good Horse" we both looked at each other and said "Sheryl Crow" at just about the same time. Nina's voice is very similar to Crow's and that's not necessarily a bad thing, for what the music is. There's definitely a country component in the music (maybe why Sheryl Crow comes to mind) and while there are some darker themes I wouldn't call this a dark album overall.

7 out of 10 for this one.
    Source Components: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC w/Ortofon 2MRed-Squeezebox Classic and Cubietruck running Android and LMS via Squeezeplayer App-Cambridge Audio Azur 940 Integrated Amp
    Speakers: Hawthorne Audio Duet Open Baffle
    Headphones and Associated Equipment: Beresford MKII DAC-Schiit Magni-MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro

My Personal/Photography Blog - http://www.marksinderson.com

I'm Lawrence.

A great choice, this is a really well made album IMO.

My favourite track is probably 'Lead me into the night', but there don't seem to be any fillers that don't deserve a place. As has already been said, the lyrics are definitely a step up from the run of the mill.

The lead vocal is exceptional, not too sentimental or showy, but just well delivered with beautiful pitch and control. I am going to push the boat out and give this a 10 as well as I don't have any criticism.

Lawrence

Sorry it didn't hit the spot for you Baz, but if there is one thing that gives me satisfaction from Album Club it is introducing someone to an album I am passionate about and them enjoying or even loving it - so well made up from Mark & Lawrence's comments - cheers guys, glad you enjoyed it.
    Alex

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well I have played this once so far, but found it on Amazon for £1.62 so have just ordered it. I'll vote and report back once I have heard it properly. I wasn't grabbed by the first few tracks, but it improved as the album went on and there is some good songwriting here. I do kind of get the Sheryl Crow connection, but for me I was put in mind of what a young Lucinda Williams would have sounded like?
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast