Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New forum missive

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    Just a point of clarification please, I have the Firebottle phono stage, which I was going to review, however I've not bought it and probably won't at this time. If I can't post opinions 'cos I haven't bought it, it kind of negates the use of an audio forum.
    Hi Paul,

Happy to clarify, however it's pretty much covered here:

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    Here on The Art of Sound, we actively encourage members to post reviews of any item of audio equipment they feel will be of interest to the membership.

However in any forum review, the author must state at the beginning whether the product(s) concerned have been purchased yet or not......
    You don't need to have bought the product(s) in question, in order to review them, but whether you have done so or not (i.e. if they've merely been loaned to you by the seller, or are on trial at your volition), must be made clear at the beginning of the review - simples

I'll amend the ruling in the Noticeboard, in order to make that fact clearer.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alex.

I think this gets the balance about right. By including the required information in the review, there won't be anything to feed the conspiracy theorists, and some of the personal invective seen in some of the recent threads will not be necessary/justified.

That's not to say that hyperbole and over the top positive reviews will pass without comment, I'm sure.
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

Thanks, Alex, and I agree. I think it's about as fair as we can make what is a tricky rule to implement.

I should also stress that anyone found to be lying about whether products have been purchased (and these things always come out eventually) could face a permanent ban, as we're relying on people's honesty, and a dim view will be taken by anyone abusing such trust.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    I'm not sure I see why the new missive stops you reporting your findings in this case.
    Indeed - and it doesn't. Paul is therefore free to post his thoughts on the Firebottle

The last thing we want is to 'handcuff' people, as it were, but by the same token, some level of control on these matters is necessary.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

Seriously in the UK in my career, I've had a story subject to a D-Notice once, but I thought the "secrets" were so obvious it wasn't worth their effort. Pretty scary though when special branch call you on an unlisted mobile number within 3 minutes of you being pulled up by the armed rozzers. Another time we published a story and got a nasty letter from the Mod which did mention the penalties under the official secrets act..... I hope telling people this isn't an official secret

Astonishing!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    That's not to say that hyperbole and over the top positive reviews will pass without comment, I'm sure.
    Posted product reviews get pretty powerful peer review in the forum, so I doubt that hyperbole or unnecessary bias will get off without serious inquiry. After that, it's up to the reader to decide.

As I've said often enough: a review can only serve to help you shortlist a product for listening, no more.

I'm Gone.

Well I now feel really loathe to post reviews or recomendstions on here now. I have in the past been attacked by a mod on this forum for posting a link to a review I had on a commercial site, so I stopped doing that, I see others being attacked for shilling because they recommend things. People do still send me stuff to evaluate and I do comment on it, but the attitude I have seen here, especially over the slic cable, beggars belief. I think there are moderators on here who are far from moderate and I find that unacceptable.

See you round the clubs

Well, Paul, that's up to you, but I think you're being silly. The new ruling is perfectly fair and workable for those who are honest and also willing to come and go a bit.

Furthermore, I see no evidence of anyone having been "attacked for shilling", unless you can provide some real proof of such, rather than what is merely your perception?

The Slic fiasco happened for various reasons, which have now been argued to death, and I believe largely resolved by the new ruling. Martin T has since posted a great review of the Slics, whilst observing the new rules, the thread for which has remained entirely constructive and on-topic. Therefore, I see no reason for that not to be the case with reviews of other products in future.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Tom.

Well I now feel really loathe to post reviews or recomendstions on here now. I have in the past been attacked by a mod on this forum for posting a link to a review I had on a commercial site, so I stopped doing that, I see others being attacked for shilling because they recommend things. People do still send me stuff to evaluate and I do comment on it, but the attitude I have seen here, especially over the slic cable, beggars belief. I think there are moderators on here who are far from moderate and I find that unacceptable.

See you round the clubs
    It seems that anything new, innovative and interesting is given short shrift whereas something that is dirt cheap or from 30+ years ago is drooled over. I fail to see why new products are almost totally ignored or beaten to death, so maybe we should rename the place ACAoS. The Ancient and Cheap Art of Sound

I still say it is for common sense to prevail rather than any global bans

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    It seems that anything new, innovative and interesting is given short shrift whereas something that is dirt cheap or from 30+ years ago is drooled over. I fail to see why new products are almost totally ignored or beaten to death, so maybe we should rename the place ACAoS. The Ancient and Cheap Art of Sound
    That's a rather simplistic way of looking at things, Frank, and also factually untrue. What we value on AoS is whichever kit is genuinely good, new or old, and there is plenty of evidence of that throughout the forum. I think the fact that some of our most prolific posters use high-quality vintage equipment is clouding your view of the reality!

The only thing we don't value on AoS is badge snobbery, or the notion, in terms of equipment, that 'the latest is automatically the greatest', simply because it is patently untrue. There is also an active focus on identifying equipment and ancillaries (new and old) that deliver the highest SPPV, which has always been at the very core of the AoS ethos.

Anyway, can we please leave it there? It's a lovely sunny day, and I'm just about to help prepare Sunday lunch, so let's enjoy our weekend and not argue about a load of bollocks

Marco.
    Main System

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast