+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampizator Level 7

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Nothing is wrong with an AN 4.1. It is a great DAC. It just sounds nothing like an AN 4.1. I really like the AN 4.1 with a pair of AN Es. I liked it with my speakers but for me it isn't such a good blend in that situation. I hear levels of colouration that are too high for me to accept long term. I didn't hear those colourations to anywhere near the same extent with AN Es. It may well be that the 4.1 has been voiced with AN Es.
    Interesting answer as I think this will concur with anubisgrau's thoughts. I am thinking very much about how the higher level Lampizators compare to my Audial Model S DAC, along with what the new LFD DAC5 sounds like, so perhaps time to listen to some new DACs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm gordan.

what's 2A3 tube doing there? a regulator or an output stage?

i have no experience with lampi current stuff so i'm trying to establish myself a sort of benchmark. i know AN4.1x so i can understand what you mean when you say lampi 7's less coloured.

audial S is a great DAC, certainly more neutral than AN. i'm actually thinking of getting one, especially if the price is right. my altmann's finally left my house after 6 years of absolute loyalty.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Justin.

The 2A3 is part of the output stage.

They do Lampizator coke in Germany...

I'm Justin.

Just don't listen to one of these. It will lead to quite serious dissatisfaction.

I'm Justin.

With what you have that is (wink). The memory of this thing is truly haunting me.

I'm Norm.

I'm Justin.

Surprised actually. That review is alarmingly accurate and in accordance with my own impressions of this exact same unit.

I'll look out for Dan's reviews in the future.

I'm Justin.

Actually a bit more thoughts now I have read Dan's review at home.

L7 versus L4 on Etherwood's drum'n'bass album named Etherwood. L7 pulverised the L4. The whole album just sounds much more beautiful and engaging via the L7. So having the advantage of both DACs in the house at the same time, the L7 wins on this genre or more specifically this particular recording.

On electronica - Rufus's Atlas album. L7 pulverises L4 again. The level of emotion portrayed by the L7 just transcends the L4 quite significantly.

On The Idiots are winning by Holden - mad, bizarre electronica - L7 distance against L4 narrows a lot. This highlights maybe Dan's point about speed. The L4 just sounds quicker, albeit brighter and more incisive, but what this album blows your mind with is its massive speed - if you have speakers that can render that in the first place that is. The L7 somehow dulls the speed aspect, but it is still great in other areas.

In other words, if you like electronic music I really wouldn't write this DAC off in any way, shape or form. I take the point about loss of speed but it still renders electronic music extremely well IMHO.

It ain't too bad on rock either. I listen to rock/reggae and electronica and I still rate it up there.

Also, recently I heard an AN DAC 4.1 that sounded quite different to another 4.1. One was a kit however, the other was originally a prototype. They were quite different I think, one sounding far less coloured than the other. This shows just how impossible it is to be certain what you've heard is the same thing as someone else has.

In this case, however, Dan's L7 was the exact same one I had. The lack of customisation available on L7s means reviews should really be talking about pretty much the same machines. Not so with lower level Lampizators i.e. 4 and 5s.

All that said, I'll say it again, the L4 is still a great DAC. The L7 it just really seriously good. And so it should be

I'm Richard.

I had to have a serious word with Dan. He had this DAC and didn't tell me! I only live 5 minutes away. Grrr.
    ABD.

I'm gordan.

value for money 8.5/10 for a 8k DAC FFS??!!!
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast