+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Lampizator Level 7

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by clap View Post
    I know you might not want to, but have you tried a really good mains cable on it?
    Yes Trist. I was deaf to it. It was more than a couple of years ago. Some crazy thick thing with Nordost connectors that cost a lot. Owned by the chap that lent me the valves.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Justin,
    out of interest where did you get the white base KR 300Bs?

I wanted a set of those to rellace the Elrogs I had in before, but was told the improved white base ones were for the American market only and were unavailable.

Black base standard 300Bs sound great but if my next set could be the better ones....
    The Tak is supposed to be awesome. Then there's the WE's supposedly available soon...

The RKs are best described as having a strong, dynamic sound but still with a nice, clear mid range and very good quality highs. It does a lot right, and very little wrong. No romance available with it, due mainly to very low levels of perceived colouration. But there is some. It's a valve. It has a personality. As they all do.

I'm Tristan.

Ah, fair enough. Worth trying.

I'm Justin.

Yup. Try anything, me.

I'm Justin.

Foo has arrived.

CMC Teflon sockets form a super tight grip on the pins. WBT nice but the price is surely a piss take.

£221 for that little lot. I am probably a bit mad. Or very sensible. Paying for this level of gear in a GG2 costs a lot more.

I'm Justin.

Manged to track down a new pair of EML 45 Mesh Globes. They won't have the Lampizator Anniversary branding, but they are the same valves. Can't do without them. They are too good. They have to be owned.

Also, I'm am having a special pair of EML's copy of the Telefunken AD1 made up with UX4 bases.

EML AD1

After they arrive late September, no more valve purchases for a long while. I'll let Tom (Montesquieu) have a listen to it as his place after that for a couple of weeks or so, if he promises to bring it back. A couple of hours simply isn't enough to get to grips with it. A couple of weeks isn't really but it is long enough to get a good idea.

By my reckoning, he'll have some of the best triodes on the planet to listen to. Nice treat.

I'm Justin.

EML globe mesh 45s have arrived.

They are sounding stunning straight out of the box.

So glad I managed to get a pair. Absolutely worth the money. Seriously, seriously good.

I'm Tristan.

I can't listen to cheap valves. Once you've had good ones it's impossible to go back.

I'm Justin.

Pics first text later.

I'm Justin.

Hi-Fi Collective is dangerous. It makes me want to fill all my equipment with the most expensive foo.

As a testament to that, we ended up using these valve sockets in the end: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/con...ated-base.html as the CMC's weren't such a great fit for the bracket in the DAC.

Since I had the output stage output level dropped, which was done by Lampizator with what looked like Takman resistors, I thought why mess around and had these put in instead: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...resistors.html

As you can see the WBTs have been fitted as well.

This post is an unashamed plug for Andy at Amploft, who has made a bloody nice job of putting those resistors in, and the rest of the kit. Better work than Lampizator, I would say.

Whilst Andy does guitar amps, he also does valve based hi-fi. A bod, a dude, even. Does the job, doesn't mess around, gives sound advice. He now has a Hi-Fi Collective account, so if you want some foo fitted, try Andy!

DAC now sounds suspiciously better than before. Maybe
    Last edited by User211; 14-09-2018 at 17:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast