• 8 out of 10

2 18.18%
  • 9 out of 10

1 9.09%
  • 10 out of 10

3 27.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 144: 06/05/2014: Christina Pluhar (L’Arpeggiata) - All’ Improvviso

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what is early music ?
    Pre-Baroque http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_music

I'm Mark.

I've listened to it twice, once on my 2-channel system and once on my headphones. While I wouldn't call myself a lover of this type of music I did find most of the tracks relatively easy to listen to. It has a nice variety of sounds, which makes it interesting.

I have to agree that it is well recorded and I enjoyed the headphone version a lot. My Mad Dog Pro's did a great job of reproducing the sound that was fed to them from my Squeezebox/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Schiit Magni setup.

7 out of 10 for me, mostly due to the quality recording.
    Source Components: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC w/Ortofon 2MRed-Squeezebox Classic and Cubietruck running Android and LMS via Squeezeplayer App-Cambridge Audio Azur 940 Integrated Amp
    Speakers: Hawthorne Audio Duet Open Baffle
    Headphones and Associated Equipment: Beresford MKII DAC-Schiit Magni-MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro

My Personal/Photography Blog - http://www.marksinderson.com

I'm Martin.

A very nice listen, although I am not a fan of old style folk music. I really liked the Spanish style music.

Thanks for the suggestion Martin - 7/10.

I'm Barry.

All though I wouldn't buy it I'm still going to give this 8/10 I've enjoyed it so much. I don't listen to classical but I grew up on ELP,Wakeman/Yes and enjoy a bit of folk so I fell into this quite quickly also I have recently got an ear for Spanish guitar.

I'm Mike.

I'm surprised this isn't much more popular

The music, playing, production and engineering are superb

Not my sort of music at all. It just reaches out and takes me
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

MartinT Guest

I played it again yesterday, Mike, and still love the performance and sound of the period instruments (especially that giant guitar Christina plays, and the dulcimer). Moreover, it's one of the best recordings on CD format out there. The Spotify version is a real disappointment.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I played it again yesterday, Mike, and still love the performance and sound of the period instruments (especially that giant guitar Christina plays, and the dulcimer). Moreover, it's one of the best recordings on CD format out there. The Spotify version is a real disappointment.
    That's interesting Martin - I couldn't understand why so many people were raving about the recording. Maybe I need to try a better quality recording because I stand by my view that the version I listened to (Spotify HQ) doesn't sound "right". I'll give it another go and see if I change my mind.

P.S. just fired up the first track - where is it recorded? There is so much reverb that it sounds like it's been recorded in a church (or a cave)....

I'm Tony.

I would agree with Martin on this one it did sound very real and had real depth of feild

Plus the lass can play
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

MartinT Guest

Hi Lawrence, it was recorded in 2003/04 in the Chapelle de l'hopital Notre-Dame de Bon Secours. It has a lovely big acoustic but I don't find it overly reverberant - certainly not enough to blur the crisp attack of the instruments.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Hi Lawrence, it was recorded in 2003/04 in the Chapelle de l'hopital Notre-Dame de Bon Secours. It has a lovely big acoustic but I don't find it overly reverberant - certainly not enough to blur the crisp attack of the instruments.
    Thanks Martin, that would certainly explain the echo!

Sorry, just not my cup of tea this one. The clarinet playing in particular I find very unpleasant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast