+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JR149 - Restoration Thread

I'm Andrew.

Default JR149 - Restoration Thread

I always wanted a pair of LS5/1A's but didnt want the price that goes with them so I bought a pair of JR149's.

They work but the cross over's needed recapping. A quick call to Falcon Accoustics and several days later a package of new caps arrive.

DSCN1260.jpg

The old cross over (which was a bugger to removed) looked like this DSCN1262.jpg before repair. I had to use a small hacksaw to remove the threaded bar which lives in the speaker and gives the cabinet some rigidity, this will be refabricated later.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

More updates tomorrow when I take some more piccies!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

My first pair of proper loudspeakers
    (wish I still had them . . . )
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Andr'e.

Andy:
    You should not have any trouble removing the X-Over if you remove the 'B110' Bass unit & hold the Threaded stud from inside while undoing the nut

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Andy:
    You should not have any trouble removing the X-Over if you remove the 'B110' Bass unit & hold the Threaded stud from inside while undoing the nut
    Try telling that to my speakers, the nut's (pardon the expression) were jammed solid. I have some threaded steel so it's not going to be difficult to replace. I might do a little rewiring ( I can always store things), and move the X-O further away from the speaker and implement some proper female RCA sockets. I'm just taking my time and enjoying the tinkering!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Stephen.

I was going to say that.

Unless someone previously has cross-threaded the end section.

I'm Andrew.

Well its raining in Wakefield, so what better way to spend 15 minutes than updating this thread.

I have now removed all the old caps from both the X-O on the 149's, here's a picture of, these will be stored as spares.

Here's a pic of the BASS driver verifying the type I own, this and the tweeter will be measured at some point to see how healthy they are

Lots of crappy old glue from the original foam coverings. I'll clean this off at some stage.

A little time later and the new caps are now installed on the X-O.

Oh my GOD that foam needs replacing!!!!!

Final verification of the X-O I've been working on. Check out the pink tacky stuff that was used to hold the X-O in place, which needs removing.

OK, need to buy some supplies for next stage of restoration.

Toodle pip!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andr'e.

You'll find that crappy old glue is from the adhesive around the hardboard top, id leave it.. I would not worry too much just new top & bottom circular boards, New Grill & rebuild/rewire crossover. I wouldnt spoil the bottom cans trying to apply Binding post..

I think someone used to sell a selection of different veneered boards for em..

There a 'JR149' sub for sale in the Netherlands if your interesturd?

I'm Andrew.

The grill's (steel) are in perfect nick. I'll probably do a silver rewire and save the old cable. I was hoping to repair or re-veneer the top and bottoms. The very base of the speakers is scratched and has a little rust so this will need some attention. Maybe some pics tomorrow.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andr'e.

I didnt mean the aluminium grills that are stapled on to form the front.. i meant the foam grills that wrap around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast