+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from South Florida

I'm Morten.

Default Greetings from South Florida

Hello. My name is Morten Sissener and I live near the gulf coast in southwest Florida in a town called Cape Coral. Originally from Norway, I've lived almost my entire life in the US near cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago before settling in Florida. Where, like the song says..."the weather suits my clothes".

In October 2012, I launched a new audio design/manufacturing business called Tortuga Audio. To date, Tortuga Audio's focus has been on passive preamps based on light dependent resistors (LDR's). I first encountered LDRs back in 2009 and was so impressed with their extraordinary sonic qualities that I spent the next 2 years working on a design that would ultimately tame the wild LDR. I believe we've succeeded according to our customers. So far we've been selling exclusively direct through our website (http://www.tortugaaudio.com) but that may change in the future.

My taste in music is quite broad and more recently I find myself listening to more contemporary latin, more jazz, more world music, and even more EDM. The first time I heard Daft Punk was a revelation. Having come of age in the 60's and 70's I of course have a fondness for the classic rock of that era but find I listen very little to rock these days as there's so much interesting new music to explore.

I feel very grateful that there's both more and different and less costly music available today than ever before even though I know the traditional recording industry is going through a rough transition from the old business model. It's also a curious irony that as more music is being listened to by more people than ever before that fewer people are drawn to high performance audio. Time will tell how that plays out but like so much else in life...things will not remain as they are now.

My current rig is almost entirely self designed and built including amps, preamp, and speakers although I'll likely never design/build my own DAC. My current DAC is a Schiitt Bifrost with all the upgrade goodies. Not bad - especially considering the price point. I've become a big fan of full range speakers and currently run a pair of 8" Audio Nirvana's in self-made enclosures. I'm impressed all over again every time I hear them. I have a hunch that DIY audio may well have an interesting future ahead and remain an ardent supporter of the DIY movement. I have a decent collection of vinyl but find that I listen mostly to digital sources. 100% of my CD collection has now been ripped to FLAC, the cases tossed and the discs stowed away inside big flippers albums on a shelf. I can't remember the last time I actually played a physical CD.

Finally, thank you AOS for your high quality audio forum! I look forward to participating going forward.

Cheers,
    Morten
    Last edited by TortugaRanger; 03-05-2014 at 20:06.

I'm David.

Hi Morten, welcome to AoS great introduction, quite a few fans of passive preamps on the forum. We definitely need to see some pictures of your self built kit.

I'm James.

Very interesting Morten , I used to live in Florida, a tiny place called Palm Coast. It didn't even have a coffee shop. That was 9 years ago though.
    Welcome to AoS

I'm martin.

Howdy and welcome Morten,quality first post, you now have a standard to keep up.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Steve.

great to have you here. Welcome.

+ Reply to Thread