+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Which components would you have in your ultimate 70's system?

I'm Shane.

For various reasons, my actual stand-out system listening experience from the 70s was in around 1976. We had a customer who wanted to compare the best we could offer with what a friend in the business was trying to sell him. We took a Dual 701 with Shure V15 IV, a Yamaha CR1000 receiver and a pair of Gales. The opposition was Linn LP12/Grace G707/Supex SD900 into Naim NAC12 (I think) / NAP250 and a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s. The music was Christina Ortiz playing Shostakovich 2nd Piano Concerto (EMI ASD3081. A brilliant recording), and the annihilation of our system was total, as was our conversion. A lot has since been written about Linn/Naim hype and all the bullshit that went with it, but my God, that system did things that I'd never heard before, and 40 years later it's still my clearest hifi memory from that era.

I'd love to find an old pair of DQ10s and put them with a good valve system. For those to whom they are not familiar, these are not Quads!

This is what's inside:

Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    If you wanna do it on the mega cheap a great sounding amp from the early 70's that go for peanuts Trio 'KA-2000A' The original {'KA-2000'} was the 60's..
    Good sounding amp. Sounds rather like a Sugden A21.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    I'd love to find an old pair of DQ10s and put them with a good valve system. For those to whom they are not familiar, these are not Quads!

This is what's inside:

That looks very like an Advent bass driver. I remember the DQ10 and have heard them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Got the speakers already but I would quite fancy a Pioneer SPEC 9 combo to power them. Source would have to be an RtR, probably a Revox. Add a swiss cheese plant and a floorstanding lava lamp to get that perfect period feel.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Lecson AC1/AP3/FM1

Gale GT2101

Gale GS401a

Yes, OK, it's all about the looks, so which arm and cartridge? The SME that's usually shown on the Gale looks like a Ford V8 stuck in a Lamborghini, so something a bit more space-age is called for. Transcriptors, maybe? Not sure...

Can't think of a suitably wild-looking cartridge either. Any ideas?

The Lecsons have to be the best looking hi-fi ever made. I could definitely live with the looks of this whole system. Nice one.

I'm Andr'e.

I could make room for the awesome Trio 'Supreme 1' amp They cost an absolute fortune in the late 60's/early 70's..I have only ever seen one for sale 2nd hand..

I'm Andrew.

What about tuners? What would all go for?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    What about tuners? What would all go for?
    An AKAI AT-580 for me.
    I actually had one in my 1st ever stereo system - sounded great and looks yummy imo.

I'm Shane.

THE tuner of the 1970s was the Sequerra model 1! Never saw one, but how droolworthy is this?

Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I've got a 70's system already and to me it sounds very good - Dual 701/ADC ZLM, Crown IC-150 with bridged D-60's and Spendor BC2's. Sure, the bits have been tweaked here and there, but the fundamentals remain..

For an ultimate system, the deck would possibly be one of the better Sony's (8750 or TTS3000/8000), the power amp a DC300A (I have fond memories of the QMI Gain Cell too and remember the Ampzilla but have no idea how these would stack up today) and speakers, well, either AR LST's or IMF RSPM IV's (big LOUD JBL's too possibly).

Loads of other good stuff, a Naim bolt-up 250 pales into insignificance in the wide scheme of things 1970's and the Naim 12S pre is totally outclassed here by the far more straight-wire-with-gain IC150 once a couple of small details are attended to (four little caps and two cheap op-amps).....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast