+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Codifus' system

Default Codifus' system

I finally worked the bugs out of my digital camera and I'm now able to share my system with everyone. Here it is;

I have a particular fondness for the Tower IIs and the Yamaha 596 amp. It is a budget/thrifty system, but this system really sings. The Tower IIs are one of the last speakers built by the late Henry Kloss before he passed away in 2002. I didn't know it at the time, but Henry Kloss has touched me all the while as I was developing an appreciation for hifi audio. I later learned that he was behind Acoustic Research, Advent, and of course Cambridge Soundworks. All those companies I had a great respect for when it came to hifi speakers. Henry Kloss wanted to bring high quality hifi to the masses. Anyway, I like my bass, and the tower IIs have dual 8 inch woofers with a bass port in the back. They will deliver a strong 30 Hz signal into your room (you have to make sure to use the spiked feet to really take advantage of the deep bass.) The tower IIs also are 3 dimensional and their bass is definitely not the 1 note type of bass of poorer speakers.

The Yamaha amp I like because it is able to deliver high quality output with decent power, 100 watts per channel.....for beginners. It also enables me to bypass all tone controls and input selectors by selecting the CD/DVD direct button for the purest signal. When listening, I make every effort to avoid tone controls and the like. My itunes is set with EQ off and volume set to 100% Audio Midi (the OS sound driver in Mac OSX) is also set to 100%. The Kenwood GE-7030 EQ is an anomaly. It spends most of its time powered off I have it there for parties where booming bass and whizz bang treble are required

When I bought my DVD player, hi fidelity was the last thing on my mind. I just wanted something cheap to play DVDs. That Panasonic creeped up and surprised me with how good it sounded. For a time before I developed my computer based music that player was my de facto digital audio source. I've read reviews on the net how the double re-master technology within those Panasonic S series players takes all the credit, but in my system, double remaster is always off. I think it is simply the 24/192 upsampling DAC contained within the unit. Great stuff, and cheap!

The Beresford 7520 DAC is sitting in the back of my system on top of my digital audio workstation, a Dell PC running WinXP with audio software CoolEdit2K (what is now Adobe Audition) The 7520 sits in the back because I tend to listen in low light and those blue LEDs just scream at me

Anyhow, that's my system. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Codifus; 08-07-2009 at 02:00. Reason: Changed the linked URL to embedded images (Finally figured it out!)
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi David,

Nice system. Can you get it so that the images show up immediately, instead of having to click on your link?

That's how we prefer things in the gallery

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Better? Now I have to figure out why the images are so small
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

+ Reply to Thread