+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just won a heybrook TT2

I'm Nathan.

Default I've just won a heybrook TT2

Hi all.
    I've just won a heybrook TT2 and just wondered if any of you can give me some advice on how to get this working to its full potential.
    I'm unsure of the tonearm fitted (as is the seller) can anyone identify it? The stylus is a Dynavector DV-20X, has anyone used this cartridge before? Have you any comments on it?
    At the moment I have an SME 3009 S2 fixed headshell with an ortofon red so advice would be great on which to keep.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

I'm Andr'e.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

The arm is either a Syrinx LE1 or a Datum Logic (there might be some other derivatives of the same arm too). Think its the Syrinx judging by the arm lift and bias weight thing.

I'm Andr'e.

It's a Syrinx 'LE-1' yes
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 01-05-2014 at 21:27.

I'm Andrew.

Nice TT nearly bought it myself, they go for stupidly low money. Probably will wee-wee all over a LP12, I've always fancied one, a cheapo rega rb250/300 would probably go down a storm on this deck.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    a cheapo rega rb250/300 would probably go down a storm on this deck.
    It may do, but personally, I don't like Rega arms. I believe they are overrated and they have a character which does not appeal to me, even when 'upgraded'. The RB300 was overhyped by the Hi-Fi press when it came out many years ago and given greater credit than it really deserved. Granted, at the price there was no real competition. (all the foregoing applies to the Ittok too in my view)

The TT2 is a nice unit and the existing Syrinx arm can probably be useful with the right cartridge.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It may do, but personally, I don't like Rega arms. I believe they are overrated and they have a character which does not appeal to me, even when 'upgraded'. The RB300 was overhyped by the Hi-Fi press when it came out many years ago and given greater credit than it really deserved. Granted, at the price there was no real competition. (all the foregoing applies to the Ittok too in my view)

The TT2 is a nice unit and the existing Syrinx arm can probably be useful with the right cartridge.
    Well I like them

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    It's a Syrinx 'LE-1' yes
    Agreed. A friend of mine has a one fitted to a Dunlop Systemdeck.

Nathan, if your preference is for low compliance moving coil cartridges, then I would suggest you keep and use the Sryinx arm, rather than your SME arm. If however you want to use a higher compliance fixed coil cartridge, then the SME would probably be better.
    Barry

I'm Francois.

Smile

I love mine.

a few things to check:
    - make sure the tonearm cable is clipped to the plinth to avoid any foul play with the suspension
    - make sure the belt is siting nicely on the belly of the pully to avoid any drag. That is done by a clever combination of tightening and loosening bolts around the motor.
    - don't over do the suspension as the plastic grommet are hard to find nowadays
    - when you have time, think about fitting an Armageddon clone PSU to it!

Mine is fitted with a Jelco 750D and a Goldring 2200 MM, and it is wonderful!

Enjoy

Francois, Bergerac, France
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Audio Note OTO PP, Dussun V6i
    Loudspeakers:
    Triangle Comete ES, Klispch RP600M
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm Michael.

though people tend to compare the TT2 to the LP12, in my experience the two run on different basic concepts
    - the LP12 is all about "controlled looseness" to annihilate vibrations between the stylus cantilever and the bearing, its hollow plinth giving it the fruitbox nick
    - the TT2 is all about "rigid coupling" between cantilever and bearing, the filled plinth almost acting as CLD device
    we A/B compared a pre circus LP12 to a TT2 see there. The LP12 is sold now …
    I do not know the Logic arm personally, but a TT2 likes a rigid arm better than an LP12, my RB250 works really fine on the TT2. A Heed Orbit did not improve the sound dramatically, but 33/45 switching is a lot easier …
    have fun with your TT2
    ;-)
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast