+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Google Chromecast

I'm Rich.

Default Google Chromecast

Just got me one of those Chromecast dongles. http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/chro...es/chromecast/

Anyone else using it? I reckon for many folks they could be all the streaming you'd ever need. Paired with my android tablet and using Google music it is flawless, as well as running all the usual video streaming services I've found a way around some of its current limitations by using the 'local cast' app. The Mrs and I spent lat night getting up to speed with game of thrones cast to our bedroom TV.

In the living room I'm sending optical out from the TV to my DAC and I think this will eventually replace my squeezebox and laptop setups for sheer convenience of use. It uses the USB socket on the TV for its power and I'm wondering if a some sort of external PSU would bring any improvement?

For 30quid its a no brainer.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Gary.

Cheers Rich, good info.

Is it a way of bringing the "usual suspects" streaming services(Netflix etc) to telly's n stuff that don't have them built in?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Rich.

Yes Gaz, that's precisely what it is although I feel it has much greater potential as a very discrete, noiseless, music streamer. Once this thing gets spotify and internet radio stations (although you can cast those via a browser already) it will make my SBT and laptop redundant!

I'm Gary.

Cool.
    You'll have no bother selling on your squeezebox either when the time comes.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neil.

Looks very interesting to me!

It amazes me how cheap Google feels they can make devices vs. the benefits of having our usage data & feeding it back into their advertising products. Compared to Amazon there's a bit more polish and tech under the hood - way more open! - so good for the consumer bad for tin foil hat wearers.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Lee.

Rich, can you cast an Internet video stream to it? ie a live stream, not a local file or netflix or anything that uses an app.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Rich, can you cast an Internet video stream to it? ie a live stream, not a local file or netflix or anything that uses an app.
    You can cast anything you get into a Chrome browser window. Although to be honest its not its strongest feature as you'll be stuck with the window when connecting the PC/laptop to the telly would be better.

I use an app called showbox on my tablet for movies and TV shows and send to the TV via localcast. It works great and has a good selection.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    You can cast anything you get into a Chrome browser window. Although to be honest its not its strongest feature as you'll be stuck with the window when connecting the PC/laptop to the telly would be better.

I use an app called showbox on my tablet for movies and TV shows and send to the TV via localcast. It works great and has a good selection.
    I can't use a physical connection. My desktop Mac is upstairs.

I sometimes watch an Internet stream that I can make full screen, but it looks poor cos the res of my Mac screen is 1920x1080. I assume it'll look better on the TV, no?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I can't use a physical connection. My desktop Mac is upstairs.

I sometimes watch an Internet stream that I can make full screen, but it looks poor cos the res of my Mac screen is 1920x1080. I assume it'll look better on the TV, no?
    I don't know if you can install chrome onto a Mac but you just push a button in the browser and it appears on your TV via the Chromecast.

You would need a wireless connection for the Chromecast but it shouldn't make any difference where the PC you are casting from is as long as they're both on the same network.

I've heard these can be had for around 20quid these days and with a cheap android tablet or smartphone and a WiFi connection you're all set.

I'm Grant.

I've been using digisender TV as my streamer for TV. My boy got me it for a present and it is quite good. This Chromecast gadget looks I retesting though, and think I will look into it more
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread