+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linear Tracking

I'm Nick.

Default Linear Tracking

I have been checking out Pioneer TTs on ebay and came across a fine looking linear tracking table, got me thinking - are these any good? Do they more closely refect how vinyl is cut and so possibly provide more faithful reproduction?

I'm Ken.

Like traditional arms there are good'ns and bad'ns.

I use a linear tracker, Trans-fi Audios "Terminator".
    I found that as my system was upgraded and quality improved, I became more aware of beginning and end of track distortion with traditional pivot arms. Linear trackers maintain the same (ideal) angle accross the whole disc so there is no variation in quality from track to track. Wheather or not the overall sound quality is better is debateable but you can get some damn good'ns, and like I say, consistant.
    Last edited by Qwin; 17-04-2014 at 08:00.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Like traditional arms there are good'ns and bad'ns.

I use a linear tracker, Trans-fi Audios "Terminator".
    I found that as my system was upgraded and quality improved, I became more aware of beginning and end of track distortion with traditional pivot arms. Linear trackers maintain the same (ideal) angle accross the hole disc so there is no variation in quality from track to track. Weather or not the overal sound quality is better is debateable but you can get some damn good'ns, and like I say, consistant.
    I, too, have a Trans-Fi and a Yank - the MG1 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2213397829...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - and my experience is all what Ken says. The common concern about the light bass has not been borne out in my system.

I prefer the air bearing ones but you need to find a way of dealing with pump noise. The older mechanical treatments can go a bit wonky quite easily but take a look at the Revox turntables if you are interested.

Peter
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm ILOB.

Linear trackers you have some good ones and poor ones
    I really like my arm and would not go back to a pivot.
    I always remember swapping over my silver wired SME 4 to the Terminator and just being blown away with the difference in performance on my VPI TT I had at the time
    No issues with flabby bass But think it varies with design, the type of wand makes a difference
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm peter.

My experience has been that if everything is done right (a great big 'if') air-bearing linear arms are king of the transcription arms. Something like an Air Tangent or a Rockport 7000 are very special and quite lovely. Choose the mass of the cartridge carefully and the bass will be very fine. You get a falling-away of any trace of 'mechanical' sound, and a sense of 'ease' and relaxation. The effect is very striking and not forgotten.
    The mechanical devices, such as the old Goldmund ST4 and the mighty Goldmund Reference,also work very well indeed.
    You need to be careful about cartridges because of the different horizontal and vertical mass; they also tend to cost an awful lot ('Terminator' excepted). I've never had the nerve, or money, but these arms are just brilliant.

+ Reply to Thread