+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend me some Mozart

I'm Steven.

My sympathies are with Gordon, I think I've moved on and would prefer to listen to Haydn's quartets, trios or late piano sonatas, probably also his later symphonies.

I would agree the Bohm Requiem - suggested Harnoncourt as a good more recent recording. The Bohm from the early 70s is superbly recorded from my recollection.

I would agree with some of the piano concertos, the latter the better, I would suggest 503, 491, 488, 467, 466 (Barenboim / ECO)

My preference is for Perahia and Uchida, mainly influenced by concert performance. I recall Perahia performances of Mozart piano concertos from many years ago. For me Argerich is for the Romantics.

MartinT Guest

This is the Requiem to have:

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    This is the Requiem to have:

Errr -- really?

Yes, that one is good, but have you heard Karl Bohm on DG, Martin?

I'm Dave.

I missed out lots of possibilities earlier, but a couple which might not feature on every list are:

K563 Divertimento - http://open.spotify.com/track/7e3Q0Xr681FcpQadrubobH

and K452 Quintet for piano and wind - http://open.spotify.com/track/03uKWiVTDlsOC7A2527bi0

There's a touch more vibrato in the Grumiaux version of the string trio than some of us like these days - there are other versions.

I thought there used to be a nice Naxos CD of the piano and wind quintet with players from Oslo, but currently I can only find this with Jando - http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Wind-Qui.../dp/B0000013T3 I probably got this wrong - I think the Oslo winds did a good recording of the Dvorak wind serenade - also on Naxos. I'll need to check my CD racks for the Mozart Quintet.
    Dave

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yes, that one is good, but have you heard Karl Bohm on DG, Martin?
    Don't think I have, Jerry. Another one I like (although quite different) is the Gardiner.

The thing I like about the Fruhbeck de Burgos is that it's full of anger.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Don't think I have, Jerry. Another one I like (although quite different) is the Gardiner.

The thing I like about the Fruhbeck de Burgos is that it's full of anger.
    I have a few versions - probably also including that de Burgos one on LP. Herreweghe's is quite good - I'd recommend that.

Re Böhm's Mozart symphonies - I have been sampling some of the collection of symphonies from around No 1 to No 14 plus some of the extra ones (>41) - for example http://open.spotify.com/track/2uyHfabftQx7n0c1v03qSh I've tried to listen to early Mozart symphonies before, and last time I struggled through to 22 (by different conductors) before starting to hear anything terribly interesting. I'm not sure the dullness is all Böhm's fault.

However it is definitely worth hearing No 25 - there are quite a few good versions. I used to like the LSO Colin Davis one a lot, but it was out of print for a long while - but has recently reappeared - though sadly only in a collection. Klemperer and Walter also recorded decent versions.
    Dave

I'm Tom.

Wow! Thanks a lot guys
    This is exactly what I wanted - wide-ranging and specific, with various recommended recordings to explore.
    I shall go through the thread in detail this week, but I think I'll begin tomorrow with Jerry's recommendation of the Jando Sonata's.
    Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123