+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A new toy - PL-71.....

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Take great care with bearing adjustments. If my 701 is anything to go by, MC carts take no prisoners and chatter can ruin an otherwise good sound. I had no "rock" but there was the tiniest bit of vertical play if the horizontal gimbal was held and firmly rocked up and down. Adjusting this out and adding a tiny drop of fine clock oil cured this completely (and improved arm friction too..) but I'd hesitate in your case as spares will be impossible to obtain for the PL71 (there's tons of Dual bits around and I have a spare "bitser" from Shane - thanks again sir! ).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neal.

I've checked again, a bit more closely this time and there's no play in the vertical pivots...but there is slight play in the horizontal arm bearing. Not sure if there is any way of adjusting it...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Neal.

I've reinstalled the 103R and gone back over everything with a fine tooth comb...careful attention to setup up pays dividends...its sounding much better now and as Richard said the 103 does match this arm very well. I did find though that the VTF dial on the arm is not very accurate and think this was the main cause of my previous dissatisfaction, on my deck it under reads by about .4gram so I was previously tracking near 2.9gram....

I'm Steve.

That's good.
    I've got a 33 PTG but a 103 is a consideration for the future.

I've always use a Shure VTF balance so not bothered with the build in guide thing.

Have you noticed any RPM accuracy issues when playing / you touch the on/off buttons. Mine needed two new micro switches from Maplin for £3 - sorted.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

Has the PL-71 ever been compared to a Roksan Xerxes?

I'm Neal.

I've never compared it so can't comment...

Steve, I'm looking at two new micro switches at this very moment...

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I've never compared it so can't comment...

Steve, I'm looking at two new micro switches at this very moment...
    I have - belt drive warble v DD stability is the main change, but the Roksan is one of the better belt drives, far better than a Linn.

I should get a couple of those switches for one of my units as those on it are a bit intermittent. Give me a heads up on the part number / URL / what have you. Save me looking for it.
    Last edited by WikiBoy; 03-07-2009 at 16:03.

I'm Neal.

I bought Maplin GW71N...these are different to the ones I removed. The old one has all three terminals on one end of the switch with the center terminal being the common one. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=6453

With the GW71 the common terminal is the lower one (belly)...because of this I had to modify the mounting bracket so they would fit...also the normally open and normally closed terminals are opposite on the GW71.

If you scan on at 1:1 (on a chepo flat bed scanner) and let me know the functionality I will get some for you. I had to do the same thing for the SP-10. You would not believe how many versions there are..............

Regards

Dave

I'm Neal.

Will do Dave, later today.

Shuggies 1210 thread has got me thinking of a DIY PSU for the PL-71...based around a 317 pretracking cct and external TX...should be straight forward to do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast