+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A new toy - PL-71.....

I'm Neal.

Default A new toy - PL-71.....

.....all the way from the US of A I'm now in possesion of a mid 70's PL-71. Having read the good reports from Richard on these I managed to snag one for a fair £97 quid....the shipping charges where something else though and then there was import duty

The deck seems in fine condition, I've cleaned it and checked the arm for any issues and all seems OK...I've recapped the power supply boards and cleaned 'n' oiled the main bearing.

It came with a Shure v15HR-P cart but I haven't tried it....instead I fitted a Sumiko headshell and a DL103R.

I thought the speed stablity was OK but its turned out that its a bit variable and it seems to be a problem with the speed select micro switches... who's contact resistance changes when you gently tap the top of the speed select buttons! New items are on order.

When the speed does settle down it sounds OK...but...I'm not sure the 103r is a good match for the arm...the sound is not coherent and its a bit vague. It could need more mass but I've tried adding some temporary mass and it's not improved.

So I've currently switched over to a Reson Reca and it's much better...

I intend to rewire the arm and replace the phono sockets on the back with a captured lead...

I've also got another DD on the way....I hope...and will post when it / if it arrives...

Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Steve.

Looks very good. Nice LP-12 beater. I had a good listen to an SP-10 + SMEV the other evening and on coming home and firing up the PL-71 I was not dissappointed.

Same switch prob as I had... £3 sorted.

I have not rewired the arm or changed caps - it's working so nicely I've left it original. Let us know what the re-wire does.

Did you move the voltage in wire to set it up for 230V?
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I've been racking my brains to remember if we ever sold these. I do remember the twenty or so PL12D's we sold ON EACH SATURDAY (can't remember how many we sold mid-week...) and I know we had a few of the others, but this was when I was being blown away (literally) by big IMF's and JBL L200's, not to mention Tannoy Berkely's and "Ard'Ons" and the huge and expensive (£1200 in 1974) Crown hybrid Electrostatics. Compared to the pretty and totally ineffective Era deck, the Techie range and the good old (?) Yamaha YP800, the PL71 looded, well, boring and slipped under the radar.....

I know it's been said that the arm bares more than a passing resemblance to the Rega R200, but looking at them closely, the differences are greater than the similarities to be honest. They were probably made in the same factory though, as apparently a very few companies churned out all the product for all the manufacturers back then.

I'm sure it's a great old deck and the substantial wood-block plinth (compared to the internally hollow Techies of the period) must help here I'd have thought).

This is guessing, but I suspect a top end AT cart might be the best thing, such as an AT33 varient (the PTG is the UK popular one, although there are others at higher prices) or an OC9ML.

I bet the seller in the US couldn't believe how much you paid for this deck. I bet he was looking for $50, not $140 or so.......
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

very nice set up

but will it better the reference Limp LP12?

you know the reference system:

LP12, ittok, karma, exposure super duper something or other, kans...

Im off to the 80's to confirm

exits nodding and a foot tappin'
    BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Neal,

When the speed does settle down it sounds OK...but...I'm not sure the 103r is a good match for the arm...the sound is not coherent and its a bit vague. It could need more mass but I've tried adding some temporary mass and it's not improved.

So I've currently switched over to a Reson Reca and it's much better...
    Most interesting - and great pics as usual!

The bit in bold is intriguing because it flies completely in the face of what's been reported by, IMO, people who know a good sound when they hear it, such as Gromit, RD, and others who've reported superb results with the PL-71 and 103. You're observations of course are equally as valid, but it just goes to show how people judge things differently!

As far as I'm concerned, experience suggests that the arm on the PL-71 *should* suit a 103 very well, but that's obviously not what you're hearing, so it's doubly puzzling... Perhaps you could expand a little on what you mean by "not coherent and a bit vague"? What phono stage are you using, and how is the cartridge being loaded?

As I haven't yet heard the PL-71 for myself, the jury's still out, so I'll be following with interest how your journey develops

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice looking deck! Can't help thinking how nice it would look with a slate plinth though...

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

As far as I'm concerned, experience suggests that the arm on the PL-71 *should* suit a 103 very well, but that's obviously not what you're hearing, so it's doubly puzzling...
    Remember though that both Gromit and RD were using additional mass on both the counterweight and the headshell, I guess the stock arm is middling in mass terms and probably a bit on light side for the 103.
    Nick.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yep, but Neal has already said:

It could need more mass but I've tried adding some temporary mass and it's not improved.

Maybe he hasn't added enough... However, I suspect something more fundamental is wrong.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yep, but Neal has already said:

Maybe he hasn't added enough... However, I suspect something more fundamental is wrong.

Marco.

Could be loose arm bearings chattering. The two knob like things either side of the arm bearing are screw caps, undo them and underneath each you will find a screw. Tighten to sort of finger tight with a screwdriver and try again.

My three cartridges with my PL-71s (I have three of them now) are DL103, M3D, SPU. They all sing but SPU is magic.
    Last edited by WikiBoy; 03-07-2009 at 08:30.

I'm Neal.

Whoa! loads of replies...

Steve: Yes moved the wire over to 240v

DSJR: I had to persuade the seller to ship to the UK!

Bigmoog (Jonathan): Already been there...got the T shirt and moved on...no Linn for me...

Marco: yes its a bit confusing, I used a Sumiko head shell and also added some extra mass during my fiddling...but the 103r just didn't seem to 'gel' as I know it can...maybe there's something else wrong like Richard suggests. I've tried both the phono input to a Linn Pretek at 100R and also into a Rotel 970 at 100R and....well it just doesnt seem to work.

Ali: Waaaay too much work and expense!

Scoobs: Probably...but I think there's something else wrong...

Richard: Now that's interesting...there is noticeable play in the yoke with lateral rotation of the arm...I can feel some play when slightly twisting the arm tube...I'll investigate more tomorrow.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast