+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Khozmo Mkii Stepped attenuator

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The cheapest upgrade you could do is to change the pots in the Croft for conductive plastic pots, such as these :

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...f%2fbxv2Axs%3d
    Alan, thanks for the advice. However, I am not looking for the cheapest upgrade, but for the one that will take the sound quality to the max. As mentioned, I am considering either high-end attenuators or perhaps even altogether substituting the active preamp with a passive design. Hmmm, there are real-life problems
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Alan, thanks for the advice. However, I am not looking for the cheapest upgrade, but for the one that will take the sound quality to the max. As mentioned, I am considering either high-end attenuators or perhaps even altogether substituting the active preamp with a passive design. Hmmm, there are real-life problems
    The Khozmo is a beast. Simply, stunning.

You may have to rejig the guts to get one to fit. I did ask Glenn Croft how much it would cost to buy a 25r pre with my Khozmo fitted but never got a reply.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Panos.

Oliver, the dilemma for me would be whether it would be worthwhile to completely turn to a passive preamp, such as the Khozmo dual-mono box, and not just fit the attenuators within the Croft pre.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Alan.

To be honest I don't think you would notice much difference between having Khozmo attenuators or conductive plastic track pots in the Croft.

The conductive plastic tracks have a very organic sound, quite different from standard carbon track pots. This opinion is from received wisdom, but from some very well respected individuals in audio industry.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    To be honest I don't think you would notice much difference between having Khozmo attenuators or conductive plastic track pots in the Croft.

The conductive plastic tracks have a very organic sound, quite different from standard carbon track pots. This opinion is from received wisdom, but from some very well respected individuals in audio industry.
    Alan,

enclosed a photo of the pots in my Micro 25RSLS. Can you or any other forum member recognize them perhaps?

IMG_3604.jpg
    Last edited by pankon; 22-08-2018 at 13:25.

Bigman80 Guest

There's a lot of perceived wisdom about pots etc and to be honest, there are some very notable designers that use standard pots like Alps blue and some that use plastic pots like the ones Alan pictured. There is one I know of who uses a cheap £1 version in their gear and reports are that it's excellent.

All I can say is in my own experience, I have been able to get a higher level of transparency from better pots/attenuators like that of the Khozmo compared to the Alps blue. Some will say I am imaging it but when I offered to make a cheap as chips pre v my DCB1, There wasn't any enthusiasm.

Truth is, it's a matter of taste. When I had a totally passive preamp, I never felt they offered the grip on the bass I liked. When I built he DCB1 which is effectively an active pre by way of the DCB1 Buffer board, I lost nothing of the fluidity and expanse of the passive but gained authority and slam. It suits me but may not suit you.

I'm Panos.

I searched on the Internet and found that the pots used in my Croft 25RSLS are RV24YN20S A104...

Bigman80 Guest

I searched on the Internet and found that the pots used in my Croft 25RSLS are RV24YN20S A104...
    Like I said, there are a fair few who swear off high end pots/attenuators. It's a "suck it and see" situation.

I'm Panos.

And by the way, what’s the verdict? Shunt or series attenuator for a passive preamp design?

Thanks

Bigman80 Guest

Mine is a 50k series.

My verdict is that it's exceptional.
    And by the way, what’s the verdict? Shunt or series attenuator for a passive preamp design?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast