+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Khozmo Mkii Stepped attenuator

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    DACT attenuators will fit in the Croft, I have used these in my own preamps over the years with excelent results.
    DACT are well liked. Good shout!

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Panos.

Anthony,
    as you know Croft preamps use dual-mono pots, so I guess that DACT would offer something similar. Is there is a specific model that you would recommend? Is it a drop-in replacements to the existing TOCOS pots? Any idea about the cost perhaps?
    Thanks
    Panos
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Anthony,
    as you know Croft preamps use dual-mono pots, so I guess that DACT would offer something similar. Is there is a specific model that you would recommend? Is it a drop-in replacements to the existing TOCOS pots? Any idea about the cost perhaps?
    Thanks
    Panos
    You don't need dual pots, can fit a stereo pot and fill the hole of the now redundant hole with a blank.

I'm Panos.

To be honest, the dual pots actually play the role of a balance pots. So I would not like to eliminate them and substitute them with a single stereo pots -))
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

Bigman80 Guest

Fair enough.
    To be honest, the dual pots actually play the role of a balance pots. So I would not like to eliminate them and substitute them with a single stereo pots -))

I'm Steve.

Hi
    I also use the Khizmo 50k series pot in my dcb1 turbo and would concur with Oliver.
    The transparency and bass authority is by far the best I've heard.

Steve..
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

I'd drop Glenn a message and ask him if he could help you out.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Panos,
    You used to be able to get the mono versions, I will check, and let you know which ones to go for.
    A...
    Anthony,
    Thanks
    Panos
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Here you go!
    http://dact.com/html/attenuators.html
    Hope this helps.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Ken.

I don't understand, why is no one recommending the Khozmo Ladder stepped attenuators?

Is it just cost, they are 40 t0 50% more expensive than the Shunt or Series, as you need 96 resistors per channel, not 48/49.

The problem with the Shunt has been explained, you have different impedance for every setting.

For me the problem with the Series type, is just that, you have 48 resistors in series with the output seeing the number of resistors dictated by the rotary control position and the remaining number going to ground, the sum of the two equaling 48. At low volume there will be many resistors in series for the signal path, is this not a bad thing?

Surely the Ladder type is the best, where you have pairs of resistors for each volume position, one for the signal and one (matched) to maintain impedance. There is only ever one resistor in the signal path and constant impedance is maintained across the controls range.

The only difference is that the Series uses multiples of resistors for each value, the Ladder uses a single resistor.

I would have thought the Ladder was the better choice?
    You still get +/- 0.1dB channel matching if you want a stereo version.

So why not the Ladder?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast