+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Khozmo Mkii Stepped attenuator

I'm Panos.

I've asked Arek (Khozmo designer/builder) and he is very much fond of the shunt topology, claiming that it yields great (the best?) sonic results. Hmmm, what should I do?
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    I asked Arek and he is very much fond of the shunt topology, claiming that it yields great (the best?) sonic results. Hmmm, what should I do?
    I went for series as it presents a constant load.

That the the advice given from the guys here.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

..... what should I do?
    Panos, for the money try one of these before you do anything else, it's a giant killer :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volume-Re...72.m2749.l2649

I'm Panos.

Many thanks for the advice, Alan. It's just that I need a dual-mono passive preamp with two outputs. And as a matter of fact, earlier today I placed the order for a Khozmo preamp. My dilemma is shunt vs series resistors...
    I will try to match and drive my Croft Series 7R monoblocks and Harbeth SHL5 Plus speakers.
    Last edited by pankon; 25-08-2018 at 06:49.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Panos.

Joe,

if I understand correctly, you just replaced your Alps Black Beauty pots with Khozmo's shunt attenuators? How easy was it? No other mods in your Croft preamp required?
    I am also thinking of doing something similar to my Croft Micro 25 RSLS (Line-only) and replace the inexpensive TOCOS pots (https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pc-Cosmos...-/140413148908) with something more substantial (Khozmo shunt attenuators with z-foil and Takman REY or REX?).

IMG_3605.jpg

I wonder if it's more complex than I think and not just a simple replacement of the pots... Thoughts, please?

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

The Superior stereo balance accuracy a good stepped attenuator acheives is; in itself IMHO worth the upgrade, However, I do understand why some would recomend some other types of conventional pots, they all have a sonic impact, you choose your poison etc.
    As for Shunt, or Series, I have tried both over the years, and always come back to the Series type.
    The khozmo Attenuators are exceptional value, with a build quality that is hard to beat at any price!
    Hope this helps.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Bigman80 Guest

I'm sure Hificollective stopped stocking the TOCOS pots due to channel imbalances.

The Khozmo is a supreme attenuator, but you may have to reorganise the guts to fit it in. It's massive!

I'm Panos.

Yes, I am afraid the Khozmo attenuator will not fit in the Croft. I am wondering whether there is any other alternative attenuator (to replace the Tocos), that might significantly affect the sound (for the better -)).

Bigman80 Guest

Yes, I am afraid the Khozmo attenuator will not fit in the Croft. I am wondering whether there is any other alternative attenuator (to replace the Tocos), that might significantly affect the sound (for the better -)).
    I spoke with Glenn Croft about this when I was deciding on what preamp to go for. The Croft was a serious contender and I asked if he could fit a Khozmo. He said he could and would do so but never got back with a price so I went elsewhere. What I can say is, in my opinion, it's an absolutely wonderful attenuator and has far surpassed all of my expectations.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

DACT attenuators will fit in the Croft, I have used these in my own preamps over the years with excelent results.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast