Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Thinking of a couple of new interconnects

I'm David.

The OP has 2 of my interconnects on the way to try, only because I had them on my burn in machine ready to sell and I
    was sending him some solder anyway so at least he gets something around £100 from me to try against the usual suspects

Recommendations are great but it's only ever going to be just that, recommendations based on what 1 particular person
    someone has heard themselves, that person has probably only ever heard a fraction of what's available, certainly no one
    has EVER heard the cables I sent Kevin as the plugs and wire have never been combined before.

May turn out to be crap but it's worth a try.

I'm Kevin.

Are cables the most emotive subject in HiFi land?
    My CuSat trial cables are at the post office. These have to go back, so it's only going to cost me the postage.
    I am interested to see what Mr MCRU has sent me, it's going to be fun trying this against the cables I have now, which will be my reference.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

Thumbs up

Since posting this thread, I have been playing with interconnects.
    I have reconfigured my system to isolate the interconnect as much as possible, so for vinyl, I have the tone arm cable connected to the phono stage, and the test interconnect between that and the Headphone amp.
    For CD, it's direct to the headphone amp.

The Interconnects I am playing with at the moment are:
    MG Canare LV61S
    Cambridge Audio Pacific
    Van den Hul D102MkIII
    Van de Hul MC The Source
    Black Rhodium Coda with KLE Harmony Silver plated plugs in a "twisted pair" configuration
    And what I am lead to believe are the same cables in a standard configuration.

So, cables costing from £27.50 to about £100, and to my ears the differences are subtle.
    I am not quite sure which I prefer at the moment, so I will continue to have a listen and narrow it down to a couple to put up against the CuSat which I am picking up on Tuesday.
    As the MG Canare LV61S is 75 Ohm Coax - I don't see that a different Coax able is going to be massively different, but I hope I am in for a surprise.

I'll post my two favourites/preferred cables up in a bit.
    Kevin

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Since posting this thread, I have been playing with interconnects.
    I have reconfigured my system to isolate the interconnect as much as possible, so for vinyl, I have the tone arm cable connected to the phono stage, and the test interconnect between that and the Headphone amp.
    For CD, it's direct to the headphone amp.

The Interconnects I am playing with at the moment are:
    MG Canare LV61S
    Cambridge Audio Pacific
    Van den Hul D102MkIII
    Van de Hul MC The Source
    Black Rhodium Coda with KLE Harmony Silver plated plugs in a "twisted pair" configuration
    And what I am lead to believe are the same cables in a standard configuration.

So, cables costing from £27.50 to about £100, and to my ears the differences are subtle.
    I am not quite sure which I prefer at the moment, so I will continue to have a listen and narrow it down to a couple to put up against the CuSat which I am picking up on Tuesday.
    As the MG Canare LV61S is 75 Ohm Coax - I don't see that a different Coax able is going to be massively different, but I hope I am in for a surprise.

I'll post my two favourites/preferred cables up in a bit.
    little tip mate, if your tone arm cable is touching the edge of your rack as it goes from tt or phono stage to amplifier put a squidgy bit of rubber if you have one anywhere underneath the cable to rest it on
    and stop it being in direct touch with the surface of the rack, sorbothane or some similar material if you have anything, most cables benefit from this small tweak

I'm Deleted.

Do you think that will make any difference Dave - I guess you do?
    Account Deleted

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I used to do that until it fell off without me noticing at all. I guess I got the message.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    At last years MCRU fest there were about 6-10 people sat listening to one of my systems, David Price put a sorbothane pad underneath the tone arm cables to stop them touching the rack

Instant improvement to everyone there, not massive but certainly audible

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    At last years MCRU fest there were about 6-10 people sat listening to one of my systems, David Price put a sorbothane pad underneath the tone arm cables to stop them touching the rack

Instant improvement to everyone there, not massive but certainly audible
    I was there.
    It works.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Kevin.

Thanks for the tip.

Bottom of the list - Van den Hul MC the Source - I was quite surprised by that, closely followed by the Van den Hul D102MkIII.
    I am finding that it's close between the others, but the Van den Hul's sounded slightly muffled.

The biggest surprise to me is just how good the Cambridge Audio Pacific (yellow ones) are sounding. It's a copper shielded coax cable by the looks of things. If I had to criticise it in any way, it would be a very slightly boomy bass.
    The sound is very similar to the Mark Grant Canare LV61S, but the Pacific seems to have a little more detail.

The Coda sounds nice, but the treble sounds a bit flustered at times when there is a lot going on. It's got very clear, punchy bass, and the midrange is excellent.
    I wanted two cables to try against the CuSat, but so far I have ended up with four. Two coax based, and two based on the twisted pair construction.
    More listening is required, but I am struggling to find an immediately big enough difference between the £30 Coax and the more expensive cables to justify additional expenditure.
    It's just a shame I only have one pair of the Cambridge Audio and MG Canare LV61S.
    Last edited by CageyH; 13-04-2014 at 13:05.
    Kevin

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The biggest surprise to me is just how good the Cambridge Audio Pacific (yellow ones) are sounding. It's a copper shielded coax cable by the looks of things. If I had to criticise it in any way, it would be a very slightly boomy bass.
    The sound is very similar to the Mark Grant Canare LV61S, but the Pacific seems to have a little more detail.

Interesting since I have both those cables and would describe them pretty much exactly as you have.

Have you got a testing methodology or are you just listening to what takes your fancy?

I used the into from AC-DC's 'Live Wire' which is just a bass guitar and a (I think) Gibson Explorer recorded with the mike close to the guitar amp. There is some fret buzz from the guitar and it was quite clear that all the different cables I tested presented this differently. Since I sort of play guitar I know what this would sound like 'for real' which made evaluating the cables pretty easy. Anyway just food for thought.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast