Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Thinking of a couple of new interconnects

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Incorrect proft margin estimations now removed.

I'll comment more on this topic later

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

For £100 budget, the Mark Grant G1000HD would remain my recommendation.

I'm Geoff.

I suppose, if it wasn't for 'trade'. We wouldn't be buying much at all!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

RFC Pluto Mk2 - astonishingly good for £105. (Or many times that, imho)

I'm jonny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    You still need to remove your remarks about profit margins as they are in-correct and tbh its a bit out of order quoting any sort of figures in public when you have no real idea about it?
    what is your profit margin then?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    Dave you are WRONG about margins, please do not post information that is plainly mis-leading and factually in-correct.

I am NOT AT ALL factually incorrect! Who the heck do you think I'm talking about? I was trying to defend the likes of you FFS! There are retail dealers selling gear (not fuggin add-on accessories) who rely on cables for the margin as either business is very slow or deals have to be done. You are not one of these are you?

I was in audio retail for over thirty years and I PROMISE you I know the margins dealers work at, especially on add-ons. I was even a southern sales rep for a cable and IC manufacturer for a couple of years (a period I wish to forget for various reasons) and know full well how the chains operate.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Incorrect proft margin estimations now removed.

I'll comment more on this topic later

Marco.
    No Marco, you're incorrect here, for reasons given above. The company I represented (long gone now) offered 55% to dealers who stocked a fair range, a competitor based not far from the darker side of Salisbury offered 60% plus fancy presentation rack and a northern cable supplier who changed their name a good few years ago offered 75% margin if the full range was stocked. A large UK chain took the first and a mainly southern chain took the second across their shops I remember at the time. Speaker manufacturers have also been squeezed by the dealer chains too, 50% being achievable and one I believe having to offer 60% as long as a big order is made each time.

I didn't even think the online suppliers who sell much of their wares here would think themselves included in my comments. I know Mark Grant and the excellent service he gives and am sure Paul's £100 wire is excellent and possibly better for those who's ears and systems are up to it.
    Last edited by DSJR; 09-04-2014 at 20:15.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrei.

Kevin
    No recommendation as such, but:
    Have a gander at http://referencefidelitycomponents.c...interconnects/ . It will help you identify what you are looking for.
    I think I am right in saying one of the advantages of purchasing from AoS trade members is that you can get a custom length.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I didn't even think the online suppliers who sell much of their wares here would think themselves included in my comments...
    Unfortunately, one of them did, as the distinction you were making between different types of hi-fi dealerships wasn't clear, even if in your head it was

However, Dave, fair enough. I get where you're coming from now and apologise for the misunderstanding. I guess that Brooky considers himself to be a 'dealer' as much as those with high-street shops, so when you wrote earlier:

"AVOID INTERCONNECTS BOUGHT FROM DEALERS, as they will almost certainly garner a 60% profit margin for said dealer (75% for Black Rhodium if stocked in quantity)."

He thought (as indeed I did) you were having a pop at him and referring to his profit margins, which as only he knows exactly how much stuff is costing him, only he knows.

In any case, as this is a hi-fi forum and not an on-line business profit & loss assessment form, the discussion should centre around issues pertaining to hi-fi/sound quality, and recommending suitable interconnects to the OP on that basis, who of course can decide for himself whether something is worth the asking price or not.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Jonny,

Quote Originally Posted by barry-potter View Post
    what is your profit margin then?

With respect, that's Dave's business. If he chooses to reveal that information or not, it's up to him.

Marco.
    Main System

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast