+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello to a civilised forum

I'm Justin.

The Parasound A21 is good and in some ways great. The first time one hit my Apogees I had to have one. I kept it for a few months and ultimately realised whilst it did some incredible things, and I really do mean quite astonishing things with my speakers, the most listenable long term option was the valve amps I use. A lot more expensive, those, though.

Enjoy

I'm Richard.

Strange this, as I've now done 6 posts and still can't PM and I've looked seemingly everywhere on the site rules and can't see any info. Am I being dim….?

I'm Richard.

Very interesting, Justin. My listening experience is very 'at the gig' and 'full-on' with the Darius. I also use two 400W sub-woofers. Together it's as SS as you can get, I recon. I love the A21's detail and effortlessness and, like you say, its cost effectiveness. To say nothing of its super build quality. The valve journey will come later for me, I'm sure….

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The Parasound A21 is good and in some ways great. The first time one hit my Apogees I had to have one. I kept it for a few months and ultimately realised whilst it did some incredible things, and I really do mean quite astonishing things with my speakers, the most listenable long term option was the valve amps I use. A lot more expensive, those, though.

Enjoy

I'm Richard.

Enjoy
    Apogees and the Darius dip similarly low, too, I should imagine.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneesup View Post
    Strange this, as I've now done 6 posts and still can't PM and I've looked seemingly everywhere on the site rules and can't see any info. Am I being dim….?
    Think you may have to do a few more posts Richard. Or, maybe there's a time constraint. But I'm not aware of one.

PM me if you get PMs working!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Think you may have to do a few more posts Richard. Or, maybe there's a time constraint. But I'm not aware of one.

PM me if you get PMs working!
    Thanks Geoff. Will do! R

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneesup View Post
    Apogees and the Darius dip similarly low, too, I should imagine.
    Not looked up the Darius but the Duetta is a very flat 4 Ohms across the entire FR.

The A21 worked best with an EAR 868PL as a pre - which cost massively more than the A21. TBH though I'm sure a much cheaper valve pre could have the same or better effect. I actually rate the Chinese Cayin pre I run now above the EAR, especially with the valves I've just dumped in it. So if you want to get a flavour of valves to de-SS the system a bit, pick up a good 2nd hand valve pre just to experiment? You might like it, you might not, but defo worth a try if you haven't already.

I'm Richard.

Not looked up the Darius but the Duetta is a very flat 4 Ohms across the entire FR.

The A21 worked best with an EAR 868PL as a pre - which cost massively more than the A21. TBH though I'm sure a much cheaper valve pre could have the same or better effect. I actually rate the Chinese Cayin pre I run now above the EAR, especially with the valves I've just dumped in it. So if you want to get a flavour of valves to de-SS the system a bit, pick up a good 2nd hand valve pre just to experiment? You might like it, you might not, but defo worth a try if you haven't already.
    I hear what you say, and have very nearly gone the Trilogy route twice now, having missed a super bargain last year. Instead I have a valve pre phono and will be using a valve buffered DAC, through which my cd and Sonos will route. I felt that was the next stage in my evolution, partly because I love my Forseti so much I don't want rid of it. And I can't keep everything!

Which 'big valve monos' do you use now…? If I may ask?

I'm Richard.

And the Darius run 3.8-4Ohms, but dip lower at the X-over point. R

I'm Richard.

Ah! I can PM now! Thanks for everyone's advice there! R

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast