+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amp search

I'm paul.

Default Amp search

Hi All,
    I would like to welcome all reasonable suggestions for a power amp to improve on what I have now - a fine pair of electrocompaniet monoblocks aw180. I have experienced 8 years of musical enjoyment and then a friend lent me a Williams Audio Hypex UCD180. Initially I thought it warm, a bit dull with a smaller sound stage than what I was used to. After a prolonged warm up, clarity and detail emerged and I found myself playing CD after CD to see how it sounded. I then switched back and although the soundstage was more open and bigger, it was ...a little ...almost ...harsh! I am now on the search for power that will have that open soundstage, the speed and excitement of sold state/class d and the warmth to let me into the music. I have tried Bel Canto Ref500 and I didn't think they sounded as good as the Williams and they were too powerful for my JMLab Mezzo Utopia speakers (3.8Ohms). Can anyone recommend a power set up that will improve what I have ...very good class d amp with balanced inputs, or class A that doesn't cost £10,000?

I have an ARC Ref3 pre-amp with Mark Levinson 390s CD. I listen to Jazz, blues, electronica, rock, classical.

Oh and if anyone knows if Duncan Williams is still making amps, please let me know

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Paul,
    Welcome to The Art of Sound.
    I'm sorry no-one has been along to say hello - it rather looks like you slipped through the net.

Duncan is a member here and pops in every now and then. You will have the ability to send private messages once you have made a few posts, so you could send him one shortly.

Cheers

I'm Alan.

Hello Paul,
    Welcome to the AoS from me, you say you want SS and Class D that give a a warm connection with the music, I'm sure many suggestions could fulfill your requirements, for my part the Mono-blocs I use do have a beautiful delivery, if you get a chance to dem some you may find it worthwhile. or if you're in the Peak District some time, come and have a listen to mine.

enjoy your music

regards Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm John.

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to AOS from me.
    On the amp front, have you considered something along the lines of Pass labs or perhaps Jeff Rowland? Sound wise, they should hit the mark of what you're looking for and you can find them at relatively decent prices on the second hand market. Just a thought.
    Enjoy your stay!
    Cheers
    J.

+ Reply to Thread