+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Cassette Decks Ever? How do they compare to the Nak ZX-7?

I'm Steve.

Dave your machine is mint, so my money is on it reaching £800+

And even though Nick and Alex already know that cassette deck fever has well and truly grabbed hold of me, I'll have to stay away....

Heady with excitement from bagging a very clean DR-2 for under £90, I'm now trawling for other bits of cassette history.

Fully accept that some will be a case of form over function, but I know I'm likely to stick with using a only one of maybe two, so happy is the others just look great and can maybe be coaxed into use with some TLC.

Got this for a song (even better if it actually works):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230360205816

May not look much but it's a proper 3 head, dual capstan deck from 1980 so for £26 I'll be interesting to see what it's like.

Alex has kindly been tutoring me in the Way Of The Revox and preventing me from spending a mint on a poor choice. If fact, I think I'll steer clear for now.

However the shiny pics on the Vintage Knob have got me all excited about the late 70s/early 80s Pioneer CT-F series monsters. I'm sure it will mean a world of pain and disappointment, and they're probably rubbish, but one would at least LOOK great.....
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hi Nick

Well one thing we should do, like you and I have, is to "follow" our friends. This is a couple of mouse clicks, but when you log on to your home page you get all (the very short) messages!

I love it, just need more followers

http://twitter.com/DaveCawley

As you know, I have a brand new TCK81 bought by me and hardly used................

3 head, quartz lock, direct drive, and only £9.99 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...lenotsupported yes I bought it!

Regards

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Cawley; 25-07-2009 at 08:11.

I'm Nick.

Cheers Dave - another fine purchase there. How do you do it?!

I've started a Members on Twitter thread which should get more visibility than this one - but I see you've just spotted it!

Gotta run... tweet you later
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

[I]Like new, boxed, perfect, 3 head, quartz lock, direct drive, and only £9.99

Well, no one could be bothered to look it up, the seller included! But it is like new and has everything you could want for £9.99! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...lenotsupported

Look here http://www.vintagecassette.com/Technics/RS-B755

Also look here http://cgi.ebay.com/Technics-RS-B755...06135007r28522

But I'm done now, I have too many, the next one is yours!

Regards

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Cawley; 25-07-2009 at 08:39.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Dave your machine is mint, so my money is on it reaching £800+
    It is only £400 at the moment with 15 min left...

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Got this for a song (even better if it actually works):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230360205816

May not look much but it's a proper 3 head, dual capstan deck from 1980 so for £26 I'll be interesting to see what it's like.
    It is a very nice deck, one step down from TC-K81 (which both Dave and I own) - uses the same famous Sendust-Ferrite "Independent Suspension" heads.

Cheers

Alex

I'm Steve.

Dave, can't believe you only got £400!

I had been fiddling with my eBay settings and last time I looked it was showing the price in USD.....

Just as well actually, if I'd see the actually price I'd have been tempted myself and I really shouldn't!

Yep I'm very pleased with the Sony, and it looks to be in great condition, so fingers crossed. Defo learn that some dedicated eBay browsing with the Vintage Cassette page open is a way to land the odd classic bargain!
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Neil.

£410.....

Someone bagged themselves a bargain...... If I was in a job....oh Yes, she would have been mine....oh Yes indeed !

E-Bays a bit odd at the minute, stuff that should be cheap isn't and vice a versa....go figure.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Alex.

The deck on the photo arrived to my doorstep this morning and was in its time one of the most expensive cassette decks ever ($2900 MSRP) and certainly one of the most impressive. I would not call it one of the best as the sound quality of the Revox B215S is not up to its looks. However I plan to change that .

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Nick.

That does look gorgeous Alex. I'd not heard of the 215S before. It'll be interesting to see how your project pans out. I've got a Studer A710 arriving today or tomorrow. I'm looking forward to giving it a good listen...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Nikitin View Post
    The deck on the photo arrived to my doorstep this morning and was in its time one of the most expensive cassette decks ever ($2900 MSRP) and certainly one of the most impressive. I would not call it one of the best as the sound quality of the Revox B215S is not up to its looks. However I plan to change that .

Alex

Hi Alex

I had one of those on loan along with the matching tuner (which I bought) I compared it at the time 20 years ago to my Nak CR5e and to my ears the Nak was more open and detailed the Revox was too warm (If I remember right, it was only going to cost me about £250 + 50 with the remote. I couldn,t afford it and the tuner at the same time). Its possible it wasn't 100% though (I know a lot more about these things now) I did have the opportunity to buy the remote which worked the Tuner. I didn't, instead I programmed the codes into a learning remote which sadly I dropped a few years ago

It was a nice machine though, and I do think about it from time to time and wonder how it would fair now. I know who bought it, but I doubt if he still has it. I like the look of it.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 31-07-2009 at 13:42.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast