+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Your old records rescued. Brand new records made."

I'm Ken.

Its taking an analogue source, all be it in crap condition and turning it into digitaly processed sound.

Surely that is not what folks want.

You may as well buy the CD.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Its taking an analogue source, all be it in crap condition and turning it into digitaly processed sound.

yes, if there is a CO!

You might be surprised by how good he result of sympathetic 'digital restoration' can be. I do this whenever I rip vinyl, and the results usually are very good. The won't be able to cope with worn source material, but scratch removal and surface noise reduction can and do work very effectively.

The bit I don't really get is the cutting of a new LP - is this an acetate or a cut straight to vinyl?. If the former then it won't last well at all - as with Dr 'dub plates'. Either way generational losses from the digital copy are inevitable.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Ken.

Once the tracks are in the digital medium why cut to vinyl?

You have lost the analogue sound so may as well rip to CD or use FLAC.

There is no longer an acoustic reason to keep to the original format and the copy will have no collectable value.

As for filters, they all degrade the sound to a degree.

I remember the days of Dolby - it didn't matter which version you used, it cleaned up the back ground mush at the expense of clarity and dynamics. I allways switched it off and prefered the sound that way warts and all.

This process might be a way of cleaning up rare recordings to a listenable level on a digital format but the vinyl cutting part seems a bit of overkill pampering to the renewed intrest in the medium. I didn't read too far into the detail of the artical but I can't imagine the whole wax cut, plated, positive/negative, pressed process is being used. It must be cut straight to a blank vinyl disk as a one off. Isn't this method of cutting inferior quality anyway?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I agree.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I would only ever advocate the use of valves in the recording or playback chain when doing so is advantageous (in terms of preserving sonic/musical purity), never merely to apply a 'euphonic bandage'.
    You must hate Sly and the Family Stone then, especially 'There's a Riot Goin on' it's as much about the way it was made and the euphonic artifacts (particularly of the mic pre distorting on the vocals) as it is about the songs or arrangements.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol... That's different. If the euphonic artefacts are intentional, and part of the music/artist's creative process, then I want to hear them in all their glory!

However, what I certainly don't want is any such euphonic artefacts added by the playback equipment, or deliberate coloration applied during the recording process that isn't part of the music

Maximising musical integrity and realism is what it's all about for me with hi-fi.

At the end of the day, I want to replicate, as closely as possible, via my hi-fi system, the sound that the artist(s) and recording engineers created in the studio.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm guy.

+1
    sounds like a marketing scam/load of bollocks to me.

I'm Neal.

You have lost the analogue sound so may as well rip to CD or use FLAC.

There is no longer an acoustic reason to keep to the original format and the copy will have no collectable value.

As for filters, they all degrade the sound to a degree.

I remember the days of Dolby - it didn't matter which version you used, it cleaned up the back ground mush at the expense of clarity and dynamics. I allways switched it off and prefered the sound that way warts and all.

This process might be a way of cleaning up rare recordings to a listenable level on a digital format but the vinyl cutting part seems a bit of overkill pampering to the renewed intrest in the medium. I didn't read too far into the detail of the artical but I can't imagine the whole wax cut, plated, positive/negative, pressed process is being used. It must be cut straight to a blank vinyl disk as a one off. Isn't this method of cutting inferior quality anyway?
    I've archived a lot of vinyl to computer, mainly for playback in the car and on the squeezebox but I've always kept the original recording. If recorded using 32 bit floating point at say 96Khz even after manipulation to remove rumble, surface noise and clicks the resulting file retains the signature of the original turntable sound. Its quite uncanny...the file can then be converted to say Red book CD or 320Kbs MP3 with dither applied and the turntable signature is still present.

I agree, apart from the romance side of having a new LP cut it would be better to just retain it as a file or CD....and it would make sense only if the recording is rare, unobtainable on the same or alternative format.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I've archived a lot of vinyl to computer, mainly for playback in the car and on the squeezebox but I've always kept the original recording. If recorded using 32 bit floating point at say 96Khz even after manipulation to remove rumble, surface noise and clicks the resulting file retains the signature of the original turntable sound. Its quite uncanny...the file can then be converted to say Red book CD or 320Kbs MP3 with dither applied and the turntable signature is still present.

I agree, apart from the romance side of having a new LP cut it would be better to just retain it as a file or CD....and it would make sense only if the recording is rare, unobtainable on the same or alternative format.
    Every time I have transferred vinyl to digits I've found the same. I consistently prefer those CDs to commercially produced ones. Where I have the original CD as well, there is a clear improvement in 'naturalness', 'musicality' whatever you want to call it. How to explain it?? Don't know, don't care.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

+1.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast