+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Service/upgrading my SME 3009 tonearm advice?

I'm Josie.

I heard somewhere... I'll try and find out for sure that because bronze is a softer metal it's harder to machine precisely (to the same tolerance as steel) therefore the knife edges on the bronze ones are not as precise as the steel ones. In fact, on comparison they look rather blunt under magnification.

Someone may correct me here though... But I much prefer to keep the looks of the arm myself anyway.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    But remember if the original knife edge bearings are in decent condition there really isn't anything better...

Chances are, Tim the dash pot will need re-filling with oil too.

You can still get the SME phono kit. Johnny can fit this too. Also, with this kit make sure you have enough room under the deck to accommodate the plugs sticking out.. Which is why the orginal plug is great for.

Carts, well I've had the Shure V15 and now using the Goldring G800 by NWA. - These arms are very good indeed. They were originally advertised with using a DECCA MKIII I think but people have tried the DECCA Gold with great results too.
    Historically Alistair Robertson-Aikman designed and built the arm for use with the Ortofon SPU (and in doing so, adopted the Ortofon design for the bayonet arm/cartridge coupling that has now become universal). The arm was advertised for sale with an 'empty' Ortofon whale-shaped headshell made by SME, then later, after SME had developed the perforated S2 headshell, the Shure M55E and later still the Shure V15E.

From the outset SME marketed the D1 adaptor, allowing the use of Decca Mk. I, Mk. II, Mk. III and Mk. IV cartridges to be used with the 3000 arms.

I have used Decca Mk. V and mk. VI cartridges (both having 1/2" headshell fixings) in SME 3009 arms with success, but do believe that to do so, one needs to fit the FD 200 damper dashpot to the arm and use the smallest paddle.
    Barry

I'm Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Historically Alistair Robertson-Aikman designed and built the arm for use with the Ortofon SPU (and in doing so, adopted the Ortofon design for the bayonet arm/cartridge coupling that has now become universal). The arm was advertised for sale with an 'empty' Ortofon whale-shaped headshell made by SME, then later, after SME had developed the perforated S2 headshell, the Shure M55E and later still the Shure V15E.

From the outset SME marketed the D1 adaptor, allowing the use of Decca Mk. I, Mk. II, Mk. III and Mk. IV cartridges to be used with the 3000 arms.

I have used Decca Mk. V and mk. VI cartridges (both having 1/2" headshell fixings) in SME 3009 arms with success, but do believe that to do so, one needs to fit the FD 200 damper dashpot to the arm and use the smallest paddle.
    The effective mass of the arms also decreased, and not just due to progressively lighter headshells. The SPUs and Deccas are the antithesis of the Shure light-tracking/high-compliance philosophy. My own 3009 is a very early series II, as it has the split weight without the ability to slide the rear weight/wayrod assembly on the stub. It also has a 4 digit s/n starting with 1 and came with the Ortofon SPU-style headshell with SME badge. I should probably send it off to J7 for a once-over.

I'm John.

the sme 3009/3012 arms are one of the fundamental old skool arms...and the build quality is outstanding
    obviously these arms are getting on for about 30-40 years old and certainly in need of a service to squeeze the last bit out

once the original sme 4 pin connector is cleaned up they are actually not too bad...
    but if i was going to change to phonos then the SME phono conversion kit WITHOUT EXTERNAL leads is a dam good side ways move (pardon the pun ) hehhe

the german phono conversion points down ways so you need a lot of room under the deck...but again its a wonderful bit of kit

the brass bearings are worth if the old metal bearing is blunt of chipped...but otherwise i say keep the original black metal bearing

the connector on the headshell can be replaced if its got slack pins and the headshell fits in real easy...with a new connector you have to really push the headshell in before it grabs the lock nut and this contact pressure is very important...and cleaning the connector pins inside the arm tube needs to be done with care as the plating can come off if you rub with an abrasive material

hope that helps

bw
    j7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    https://j7rewires.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out J7 Rewires

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557054222982

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I believe Tim's arm is the original Series II SME 3009/S2 arm, rather than the Improved version. As such it will use steel knife-edge bearings for the horizontal bearing.
    Yes im well aware what arm it is..Been there done it loike..

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    As Dave points out the proper SME '3009' Phono conversion kits is basically what they used on the later 'Series III' arm.. I don't know if you can still buy this kit, but i paid about £75 for mine.. If you are gonna use J7 id try get one of these kits, send it up with the arm & alser get Johnny to fit a bronze knife edge bearing while yer at it loike..
    SME do still stock some spares for the 3009 / 3012 and list them on their website.
    However the costs are quite high, I purchased an 'RCA' socket conversion last year and the cost was £249:61. This socket came complete with a new lead, unfortunately I wasn't aware that there was an option to purchase the socket without one.
    I sent the conversion socket along with a rather sorry looking 3009 S2 to J7 for replacement of the rubber stub connector and a re-wire - it came back looking like new. I have to add that the service from J7 is 'first class +'. It really was a "pleasure doing business with him".

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie7 View Post
    hope that helps

j7
    It sure does Johnnie and many thanks for replying to the thread, I'll be getting in touch for an overhaul of my arm if that's OK?

I love AoS, here I am looking for some help and not only do I get good advice, but Johnnie pops up too - nice one chaps
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123