+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devialet at Radlett Audio

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Michell? MICHELL????? Wash your mouth out and say Nottingham Analogue twenty times
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Michell? MICHELL????? Wash your mouth out and say Nottingham Analogue twenty times
    Nottingham who? . . . Beautifully engineered tables those Michell jobbies I reckon and would look nice sitting next to a Devialet 240. The 401 can go in the study with my Quad gear, far too fuggly for the main living area.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    1. Wowie, you already know more about it than me..

2. Is the move still on the cards ?
    1. Hahaha yes, but I have spent a wee bit of time reading and downloading info today about this beautiful box of tricks - it certainly ticks a lot of boxes as far as I'm concerned, of course if I don't like how it sounds with the SHL5's that's moot, but the feature set, size and look would fit my future needs perfectly. As you probably know I'm a bit of a minimalist and like clean tidy lines. I don't really like Hi-Fi gear and try to hide it away, but this wouldn't need hiding.

2. I will definitely be moving on retirement David, can't afford Dorset house prices, but there is a ? mark over Suffolk now. My main reason was to be near my friend in China, who was due to return this October and settle back in Suffolk (he's from Stowmarket). However, he may now be in China for at least another 5 years, maybe more so I'm reluctant to commit until I know where he's going to end up. So I may take over my Dad's place in South Wales until I know what my mate is up to? It would place me much closer to numerous music venues too, Suffolk would leave me with a lot of long car journeys to gigs.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Dave.

The Devialet certainly works well with Harbeth. The past couple of days I have been captivated by the D170 and SHL5 combination. Digging out a lot of my favourite old CDs and LPs for a head banging session..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Nottingham who? . . . Beautifully engineered tables those Michell jobbies I reckon and would look nice sitting next to a Devialet 240. The 401 can go in the study with my Quad gear, far too fuggly for the main living area.

All these people who 'buy' with their eyes It's not all about visuals you know and sometimes, the sound is just too convincing. I suggest you try one sometime.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    All these people who 'buy' with their eyes It's not all about visuals you know and sometimes, the sound is just too convincing. I suggest you try one sometime.
    That's just the thing though Dave and you will all want to burn me at the stake for saying it, but what will end up in my main living space and very likely next to a Devialet 170, will have to 'look right' with aesthetics being an essential consideration.

As I am firmly committed to FBA, if a TT ends up in Captain Tidy's living room its likely to only get occasional use and be more of an ornament/design statement than a music source to be totally blunt. The restored 401 will be the main player for records in a study, but that's going to play freshly cleaned vinyl going straight into an HRT Linestreamer+ ADC and converted to a needledrop for playing back digitally via the server. I want the option to 'play' vinyl, but it will never replace my prime source of FBA. So in this particular instance it most definitely is about the visuals.

I'm Dave.

It's great when you can find equipment which sounds good and looks good too, especially if it's in your living space. It's all very well considering a pile of big boxes,large wires and ironmongery but I for one would prefer something a little more svelte and stylish. Providing it sounds great, of course.

I'm Justin.

TBH I thought the top of the line one sounded nothing special through some Magicos at Munich a few years back.

The one hung on the wall at Bristol this year seemed good, though. Listened to it for quite some time.

Try with your kit before you buy. As ever.

I'm Justin.

BTW I'm no fan of Magicos. Best ignore what I said and just try for yourself

I'm Dave.

I can't stress enough, that the Devialet does sound great. I wasn't expecting much, before they turned up, as I don't like class-D amps but the DV are something special. I believe the amp circuit is a bit like Quad current dumpers, where a high quality class-A amp, drives the class-D to provide finesse and power without the 'harshness' I don't like with class-D.

Before the Devialet, my 'digital audio' stock was a pile of black boxes and cables from a respected company. I couldn't get on with the complexity in use and set up plus the sound at 5 x the price of a Devialet wasn't as good and the transformers' 'buzz' was audible from across the room. The svelte, little DV is quiet, reliable and works perfectly.

I am using Devialet with Harbeth, Martin Logan, Spendor and Neat - sounds pretty good to me.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Sssssss luuuverly, I wants it

OK, that's enough wine for tonight I think?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast