+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: How good is a fully upgraded Technics SL-1210mk2 compared to other high end TT?

I'm Kevin.

It’s nice to know how it compares.

I would imagine that if you change the arm, the difference will be even smaller.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Eric.

Hi Vishal,

Another worthwhile upgrade you can do is to use the KAB PSU. It is not that expensive but the improvement is huge. Once installed you can even go back to the original internal PSU and you'll notice a major difference. You will get greater soundstage and dynamics. If you think that your SL1200 was already a close match to the Micro Seiki, then with the KAB PSU you may find it on par or even better.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by vs_jk View Post
    I bought my Technics SL1210Mk2 brand new many years ago when they could be purchased for around $450. It’s been a fantastic turntable and I bought it on the advice that it can be upgraded as funds allow. So I’ve done exactly that with it. My first mod was putting heat shrink on the tonearm which yielded very noticeable sonic improvements. Next I bought the Resomat acrylic platter which also was a significant upgrade. Then came the IanMac bearing and KAB thrust plate wax which elevated the sound further. And most recently I’ve gotten the KAB damper added to my turntable which also was a significant improvement. I love the looks of my turntable but also like how classic turntables have wooden plinths so I got a wood enclosure for my Technics and that really added to the aesthetic. All in, I’ve got around $850 in my turntable. I’m very satisfied with the sound and have felt that I would need to spend multiples of this amount to get an improvement.

How much of an improvement is something that has been a curiosity for me. And therefore, I’ve always wondered how my setup would compare to a high end turntable. It just so happens that a friend of mine owns a gorgeous belt drive Micro Seiki BL-91 turntable in immaculate condition. We also happen to have the same phono stage in the iFi iPhono. He has a DL103 and I have an aluminum bodied DL103R so not an exact match but relatively close. I requested that I be able to do a comparison using his setup. So first, I listened to a couple very familiar and high quality recordings on my turntable using my headphone amp (Little Dot MK3 with Amperex bugle boy tubes) and Sennheiser HD580 headphones:

Duke Ellington: Blues in Orbit
    Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition - Telarc

Then I went over to my friend’s house with the above two albums and my headphone amp and headphones. We hooked up the same setup on his turntable and listened. At first I was relieved that his high end turntable didn’t blow mine out of the water. However, as I listened more closely, I had to admit the soundstage was wider and a little more holographic and transparent. Also, the sound seemed to have an ease to it and float on a cloud with the Micro. While my Technics produces a sound more grounded. Both turntables easily reproduce details in the sonics.

I will say that Technics fans seem to blow things out of proportion about belt drives having pitch variations. My friend’s Micro does not have any electronic speed control and yet it was rock solid like my Technics. If there were any pitch variations, then they were so minute that they weren’t noticeable.

So, it was the first time I’ve ever been able to compare my Technics to a classic top end turntable. The Micro certainly blows my humble Technics out of the water when it comes to aesthetics! And I have to admit that the Micro was a little better/different in the sound department. But that is to be expected considering it has an SME arm that cost more than my entire turntable when it was new and unmodified! At the same time, the Technics holding its own against such a top range classic turntable is a testament to it’s quality and upgradeability for very reasonable costs. Knowing this, I feel satisfied in my Technics and that the money spent on the mods I’ve done so far were very worthwhile.
    Turntable: SL1200 MK2, Mike New ETP platter, Mike New bearing, Isonoe feet, KAB PSU, Oyaide CF-HS, DL-103R
    AMP/PRE: Linar Audio Class A, CD: TEAC VRDS-20, DAC: Pierre Lurné Andromesia, Phono: Simaudio LP5.3, speaker: Lafleur Audio X1

I'm Vishal.

Thank you for that suggestion, Eric. It's good to hear from others who have had positive results from the PSU upgrade.

Recently, I got a DL103R potted in an aluminum body and retipped with sapphire cantilever and micro ridge stylus. This has elevated my system to a whole new level! But, I know that I'm not done upgrading my turntable and was wondering about what that ought to be. Now I know what it will be!

I'm Eric.

Hi again Vishal,

There are many PSU out there for the SL1200 and which may be better than the KAB one but mostly all of them are more expansive. What I like about it is the strobe light disabler and that it upgrades the internal regulator. A few years back, there was no regulator upgrade and you had to buy the stroble light disabler as an option.

Eric.

Thank you for that suggestion, Eric. It's good to hear from others who have had positive results from the PSU upgrade.

Recently, I got a DL103R potted in an aluminum body and retipped with sapphire cantilever and micro ridge stylus. This has elevated my system to a whole new level! But, I know that I'm not done upgrading my turntable and was wondering about what that ought to be. Now I know what it will be!
    Turntable: SL1200 MK2, Mike New ETP platter, Mike New bearing, Isonoe feet, KAB PSU, Oyaide CF-HS, DL-103R
    AMP/PRE: Linar Audio Class A, CD: TEAC VRDS-20, DAC: Pierre Lurné Andromesia, Phono: Simaudio LP5.3, speaker: Lafleur Audio X1

I'm Vishal.

One update on this. It turns out that my cartridge alignment was off this whole time on my turntable. I was just going off the included gauge with the Technics turntable. But then I found that when I tried to align it to any of the protractors for the Technics SL12xx turntables, it wasn't lining up. So I realigned my cartridge via the Technics Baerwald and have been impressed with the improvement in sound. It's as though the sound has been freed up a bit and no more distortions as the record comes to an end. I wonder how the sound would compare now that I have it setup properly!

I bought my Technics SL1210Mk2 brand new many years ago when they could be purchased for around $450. It’s been a fantastic turntable and I bought it on the advice that it can be upgraded as funds allow. So I’ve done exactly that with it. My first mod was putting heat shrink on the tonearm which yielded very noticeable sonic improvements. Next I bought the Resomat acrylic platter which also was a significant upgrade. Then came the IanMac bearing and KAB thrust plate wax which elevated the sound further. And most recently I’ve gotten the KAB damper added to my turntable which also was a significant improvement. I love the looks of my turntable but also like how classic turntables have wooden plinths so I got a wood enclosure for my Technics and that really added to the aesthetic. All in, I’ve got around $850 in my turntable. I’m very satisfied with the sound and have felt that I would need to spend multiples of this amount to get an improvement.

How much of an improvement is something that has been a curiosity for me. And therefore, I’ve always wondered how my setup would compare to a high end turntable. It just so happens that a friend of mine owns a gorgeous belt drive Micro Seiki BL-91 turntable in immaculate condition. We also happen to have the same phono stage in the iFi iPhono. He has a DL103 and I have an aluminum bodied DL103R so not an exact match but relatively close. I requested that I be able to do a comparison using his setup. So first, I listened to a couple very familiar and high quality recordings on my turntable using my headphone amp (Little Dot MK3 with Amperex bugle boy tubes) and Sennheiser HD580 headphones:

Duke Ellington: Blues in Orbit
    Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition - Telarc

Then I went over to my friend’s house with the above two albums and my headphone amp and headphones. We hooked up the same setup on his turntable and listened. At first I was relieved that his high end turntable didn’t blow mine out of the water. However, as I listened more closely, I had to admit the soundstage was wider and a little more holographic and transparent. Also, the sound seemed to have an ease to it and float on a cloud with the Micro. While my Technics produces a sound more grounded. Both turntables easily reproduce details in the sonics.

I will say that Technics fans seem to blow things out of proportion about belt drives having pitch variations. My friend’s Micro does not have any electronic speed control and yet it was rock solid like my Technics. If there were any pitch variations, then they were so minute that they weren’t noticeable.

So, it was the first time I’ve ever been able to compare my Technics to a classic top end turntable. The Micro certainly blows my humble Technics out of the water when it comes to aesthetics! And I have to admit that the Micro was a little better/different in the sound department. But that is to be expected considering it has an SME arm that cost more than my entire turntable when it was new and unmodified! At the same time, the Technics holding its own against such a top range classic turntable is a testament to it’s quality and upgradeability for very reasonable costs. Knowing this, I feel satisfied in my Technics and that the money spent on the mods I’ve done so far were very worthwhile.

I'm Chris.

Smile

I can highly recommend the KAB PSU.

I’m now back with an almost Brand new/ unused 1210M5G originally from KAB with the KAB PSU. 2-3 years ago I had a fully upgraded M5G. I sold it and bought a Rega RP10. I sold the RP10 and now how the two turntables in my signature below I never should have sold my M5G. But now I’m happy again! I have a glass platter on top and a fluid damper. This time I will keep the original arm, because now I now How good it is!

It’s great to be back

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm Julian.

Hi Chris, I remember seeing some of your videos on youtube with the old Mk5G. Any chance of some needledrops with the audio connected to the PC direct, vs via a mic?; Would love to hear how your rig sounds!!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post
    I can highly recommend the KAB PSU.

I’m now back with an almost Brand new/ unused 1210M5G originally from KAB with the KAB PSU. 2-3 years ago I had a fully upgraded M5G. I sold it and bought a Rega RP10. I sold the RP10 and now how the two turntables in my signature below I never should have sold my M5G. But now I’m happy again! I have a glass platter on top and a fluid damper. This time I will keep the original arm, because now I now How good it is!

It’s great to be back

Exactly, the MK5g is a lovely deck, I loved mine.

The tonearm as you say is very good, too often people swap it out, then you lose the Techie on the fly vta, which is a peach.

There is nothing like being able to literally dial in your cart the way you can with the Techie otf vta system. Priceless, particularly if you're using carts with the more sophisticated stylus profiles, which I've found to be fussy / more dependent in terms of attaining optimum performance, about set-up and then, in particular vta, to nail the sweet-spot...
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Exactly, the MK5g is a lovely deck, I loved mine.

The tonearm as you say is very good, too often people swap it out, then you lose the Techie on the fly vta, which is a peach.

There is nothing like being able to literally dial in your cart the way you can with the Techie otf vta system. Priceless, particularly if you're using carts with the more sophisticated stylus profiles, which I've found to be fussy / more dependent in terms of attaining optimum performance, about set-up and then, in particular vta, to nail the sweet-spot...
    That depends what you swap it out for.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    That depends what you swap it out for.
    Of course Kevin, I've been there, the Micro Seiki MA-202 arm that replaced the stock arm on my previous MK5g, was lovely, re-wired etc.

They have on the fly vta as well, (as I wouldnt be without it, due to the types of carts I'm attracted to/use), but it wasnt a patch on the Technics vta system we know, in terms of ease of usability, micro accuracy and smoothness of dialling in. I've always said it is a peach of a thing, especially if you really need to utilise it. I actually dont think folk really really get how good an aid and tool it is, until they have that proper need to put it use, likely out of setting up one of the more sophisticated stylus profiles. Cant say it enough, hence i keep saying it
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast